DIY: Enclosed Trailer

Tools Q & A
views 1078
replies 5
following 5

whynotfab   +1y
Edited: 7/13/2007 1:23:43 PM by WhyNotFab

Building Your Own Enclosed Trailer

I had the idea yesterday to attempt building a small enclosed trailer to carry my welder and other tools in.. or could be great for moving/camping, etc. I googled it and found the following:

"We finally found what we were looking for at Harbor Freight and it was a 4 x 4 utility trailer that weighed in at less than 100 lbs. Perfect. Now all we had to do was find a way to enclose it to protect our gear as we traveled to different shows around the area.

After some time looking around our local home depot, we decided that 1 x 4 construction was needed to fit the existing mounting slots on the trailer and we went with a plastic shower enclosure material which was available in 4 x 8 sheets. This would be very light, durable, and waterproof and would handle the rounded corners we needed to make on the front to keep it aero dynamic. We used 3/4" strand board for the enclosure structure on the 1 x 4 frame work. We also needed something to help form and strengthen the front corners and we chose to use a round furnace duct that was 5" diameter for this. This was very already in slit in the middle and was fairly easy to fit into the front corners to give us the radius that you see on most enclosed trailers for wind resistance reduction. The rest consisted of latch hardware, hinges, and screws of two sizes for putting together the frame. We used a rubber base board molding for the top finished rim which was attached with washered screws and liquid nails, and then caulked to seal it after the liquid nails was dry.

The pictures below are meant to be a guide. The exact hardware is not specified and I assume you have at least a bit of do-it-yourselfer talent."

The 3 sides and the top in place . All are constructed in the same manner to fit the purchased trailer frame. We added one extra row of 1 x 4 at back to help support the door and hinges.

The door frame and door being built. The door mounted on the trailer and then the door in it's open position.

The furnace duct installed on the front corners to create the radius and a view from inside the now enclosed trailer.

Adding the plastic shower enclosure sheeting to the outside of the trailer. We used liquid nails and plastic rivets to hold this sheeting in place. We also used a torch to soften the plastic sheet to be able to mold it around the corners.

The back door, attaching the baseboard molding to the top edge and and the finished enclosed trailer. Final price including the trailer was less than $600.

Harbor Freight Coupons (Thanks to Seth) - HERE
TwistedMinis   +1y
Thanks for sharing Ricky!
whynotfab   +1y
Not a problem, those aren't my plans (I just saved all of the pics/uploaded/did thumbnails for a smaller post).. but pretty much EXACTLY what I was looking for.. I'm hoping to build one sometime, and figured it could help others. Imagine a bagged one lol.. or custom painted, or chrome/powdercoated frame. Lots of possibilities
Iownissan   +1y
i foresee ssm's newest "whats up" article.
do_spiderman   +1y
I wonder if this could be done to a car hauler trailer to save some money.
bodydropped85   +1y
i doubt it, cuz a 28 ft enclosed is only like 7g's.
Page 1 of 1