Page 1 of 1
Tools \  Tig Welders?

Tig Welders?

Tools Q & A
views 514
replies 9
following 4

Wicked Fantacies   +1y
I was looking at the miller maxstar 200dx would this be an ideal tig welder for control arm work etc... Im looking to do mainly 1/4" thickness in metal and was wondering if this machine will do the job I can weld just never messed with tig but im sure i can learn it in no time.
ricecop425   +1y
yah that should work, but tig aint as easy as just pulling a trigger like with wire feed, good luck
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
Yeah ive heard now is the dynasty 200 dx a better machine ive just read up on it and it sounds a little better all around actually
bdroppeddak   +1y
Edited: 7/10/2007 4:18:35 PM by bdroppeddak

are you buying a machine for business or for personal use? what all types of materials would you be welding?
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
Well its personal use but I do alot of my clubs work and people around this area so its a little more than personal but i would be welding just mild steel.
bdroppeddak   +1y
if you dont want to weld aluminum, and dont plan on welding alot i'd go with the smaller maxstar.... reason i asked is if you plan on doing alot of welding you would need to get a big machine with a big duty cycle and a water cooled torch unless you want burnt hands and aggrivation.... if you want you can get the small portable rig from miller, we use it to do pipework, and run it more than anyone welding at their house would do with no trouble..... just sucks it is only a dc machine and cant do aluminum...
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
Yeah for what I'm doing I don't plan on doing any aluminum if any other metal it would be stainless cuz I deal with that sh*t alot here at work.
bdroppeddak   +1y
now if you wanted a good all around welder that you dont plan on moving alot, i'd get the syncrowave 200, its cheaper than the maxstars, but weighs about 200lbs more, and has ac current.... i used to be leery of inverter machines, but i use the XMT power supplys at work, and they weld just as good as a copper coiled machine, and weigh alot less......
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
Cool I'll keep that in mind. But I think I might go with the lighter machine cuz sometimes I do make house stops But thanks for the much needed info.
stksuks   +1y
i have a maxistar 150stl that i use every day for the past three years on stainless and mild...vary small, vary light, 110 or 220, and i highly recommend it....
Page 1 of 1