Page 1 of 1
Under Construction \  Questions about chopping the top on a 94-up S-10

Questions about chopping the top on a 94-up S-10

Under Construction General Discussions
views 838
replies 9
following 10

Lo94S-10   +1y
I've got a few q's for those who know, or have done their own chop on an S-10.. Alright.. I would love to keep stock glass; I know you can pie cut the a pillars, lay them back, thus laying the windshield back, will this make the truck look unproportional? Do I french the back window into the cab? What about the door glass, it's curved, making things a little more difficult I would think, and when it's rolled up, I'm unsure about how it would fit.. Am I going to have to section the roof to make the b pillars line up, or when I lay the windshield back, will that fill the void that's there because I removed three inches of that contoured surface?I guess my last question is, what looks better on a newer S-10, a straight chop, or laying the windshield back... I haven't really seen a lot of these, so any pics or suggestions, how to's, anything will help. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,-Chris
thesource161   +1y
there is a few on here that are chopped. check the profiles. or else check http://ifcustom.com/projects/projectspages/k-m/kimberly.htm
bdydrp18   +1y
i like the layed back windshield. made my truck look very proportional, but that is because of the 8" bodydrop
post photo
post photo
post photo
dragthatbitch   +1y
with changing the angle of the A pillers, how well do your windows fit?
AVTekk   +1y
you dont have to section the roof, you normally have to widen it with a straight chop, but layin back the windshield fills the gap and allows the stock roof to be used. the only works to a point tho.
BAGD RANGER   +1y
JUST CUT THE ROOF OFF COMPLETELY AND WEAR AN UMBRELLA HAT LIKE ME !!!
olskoolpup   +1y
ive seen somewhere to basically roll your side windows down to where you want the top to be, then cut and make the windshield and sheetmetal fit the side windows. you can also dip the bottom of the windshield into the cowl instead of cutting it. but thats probably a grip of work. (i have seen it done tho)
clean cut creations   +1y
Originally posted by bdydrp18

i like the layed back windshield. made my truck look very proportional, but that is because of the 8" bodydrop

Wow!! 2 1/4" chop mixed with an 8" traditional body drop to the doors...Are you sure you are gonna be able to drive this? Are you a Midgit? LOL!!!The work looks great so far and I can't wait to see this done!

post photo
post photo
post photo
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
^^^^^ yea same here. I check your profile weekly jason, Ive been refering to it quite often latley for just some pointer pics with my chop.

the works looks great! its gonna be a sick truck.

taylor
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Anyways, hers a post relivant to the topic.

Ive been researchin choppin the top on my project for about a year now, and this is what ive gathered.

Im going to do a traditional style chop, and NOT lay the windshield back.

What i plan to do is brace the cab in every possibly direction below my cut line. Then make my cuts quite low on the rear pillars, ware they flatten out for teh most part....and on the front im going to do it alittle higher. I plan on taking out approx 3" right now. That number may change alittle to the lower side when i get my final hard measurements and what not.

Once i make the first 4 cuts on each pillar corner, i plan on quartering the roof. That will get me so that i can line each panel up on the edges , so the pillars look proportional and strait. I bought a donor cab a while back and i intend to take filler panels out of that ones roof to fil on the areas that will be left apart from the chop. Obviously, when you chop the top, the roof grows in size because your moving each pillar outward.

I then plan on just using my filler pieces from my donor roof to make everything fit well and still retain the shape of the roof and everything.

I plan on using a custom cut piece of glass, or possibly lexan. Ive done it in the past on my mazda and it worked well.

In the back i plan on using a lexan window. And the side windows should line up fairly well stock.

idk, what am i missing, besides the inbetween points ware all the work occurs....

Page 1 of 1