Page 3 of 3
Tools \  Chassis table build

Chassis table build

Tools Q & A
views 6194
replies 28
following 14

unusualfabrication   +1y
Yes, I drilled and tapped a piece of 2x2x3/8" plate steel and welded it to the bottom of the six legs. You can just see them sticking out of the bottom of the legs.
cable   +1y
cool,I really like this!it's simple and well braced.how many feet of 2x2 and 2x3 did you end up using?everything .188 wall?
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 10/31/2010 12:19:38 AM by UnusualFabrication

I used no more than 100ft of tubing on the project. I'm not sure how much of each size I used off the top of my head. I used .125" wall on everything and with all the bracing its very stiff. The way I designed it so every rail on the top of the table connects to one of the legs by triangulation.
vincer   +1y
DUMB QUESTION...HOW DO U GET FRAME OFF TABLE,AND CAN U PUT BODY ON TABLE TOO!??

vincer   +1y
I AM WANTING TO BUILD TABLE FOR MY TRUCK, SUBURBAN, TRYING TO SEE WHAT WORKS,
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

VINCER said:

DUMB QUESTION...HOW DO U GET FRAME OFF TABLE,AND CAN U PUT BODY ON TABLE TOO!??

--------------------------------------------

The frames are generally pretty light when there done so a couple guys can pull them off the table. The bodies weigh a little more, this body took 4 guys to put it on the table.

post photo
LaYiNfRaMe22   +1y
What kind of measurements do you take to make sure it is perfectly square and flat. I understand you would measure from one corner to the opposite corner in a x pattern to see if it square but what else? Also how do you keep it from moving when your welding it?
unusualfabrication   +1y
When I built it I laid out all the outside rails, shimmed them all flat and level, measured to make sure it was square, and tacked them all together. Then I laid in all the center rails making sure they were all square and flush to the "top side" of the table and tacked them in. When I welded it I just made sure not to heat it up to much in one area. It turned out great, very flat and square!
soccorjimmy   +1y
I will plug my company name for the casters, go to www.grainger.com. JIMMY