Page 2 of 3
Tools \  Chassis table build

Chassis table build

Tools Q & A
views 6178
replies 28
following 14

thacru78   +1y
I have an I beam frame table...I want to build another one that is much lighter...and can dismantle for easy storage. It takes 4 people to get on a trailer...and is hard To roll around just because it's so heavy. Lightweight, adjustable, and easily stored. Even when I had a 30x60 shop it was always in the way.
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

thacru78 said:

I have an I beam frame table...I want to build another one that is much lighter...and can dismantle for easy storage. It takes 4 people to get on a trailer...and is hard To roll around just because it's so heavy. Lightweight, adjustable, and easily stored. Even when I had a 30x60 shop it was always in the way.

I thought about making the legs fold up but I added 3 angled tubes off each leg for supports so I think it would be to much for what its worth if I wanted to be able to fold all the legs up and lean it against the wall when not in use. After I designed it and made my cut list I calculated the weight and its 421.5# so I don't know if i'd be able to fold it up and stand it against the wall by myself anyways.
crewcabondubs   +1y
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-2-inch-heavy-duty-swivel-caster-41565.html
i used these when i built a cart to move my cab around and they work great on grass, gravel, etc.
unusualfabrication   +1y

crewcabondubs said:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-2-inch-heavy-duty-swivel-caster-41565.htmli used these when i built a cart to move my cab around and they work great on grass, gravel, etc.

Thanks, i'll check into those.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 10/14/2010 1:19:30 PM by UnusualFabrication

unusualfabrication   +1y
I didn't have anything to support the long stock so I dug though my scrap pile and came up with a A-frame style support. I had a aluminum roller from an old conveyor system so I used that on the top. The neck is also adjustable and locks in place with a bolt. I am still going to add another piece of 2x2 to connect the two legs together. The best part is that everything used was left overs from other projects so it cost me nothing!

Heres the layout of the top. It still needs to be trued up, leveled, and welded together. The outside four corners are mitre cut so there won't be any open holes on the ends.

post photo
post photo
post photo
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 10/19/2010 8:21:34 PM by UnusualFabrication

I got a little more done on the table. I cut all the legs (six) and leg supports (eighteen) in the bandsaw and then mitre cut each end of the leg supports in the chopsaw.

Here are all the legs and and leg supports tacked together on the table.

I have to make the adjustable feet yet and get some nice casters.
post photo
post photo
FluffyFreak   +1y
thats badass man, i wanna build a frame table someday soon
unusualfabrication   +1y
Had some more time to work on the table. I cut some wrap around brackets and gussets out with the plasma cutter for the casters.

And heres the table all tack welded together and ready for final welding.

I may at some point change out the casters but I had them laying around and they were free so why not use them. Realistically they will only be used for moving the table around when not in use. If they end up being to flimsy i'll change them out.
post photo
post photo
cable   +1y
nice! you just cap the 2x2 and use a large bolt to level it out?