Page 2 of 4
Body work and Paint \  old school paint job

old school paint job

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 912
replies 33
following 21

carolinasled   +1y
hey ronnie, i say take it to the metal and let it sit for a couple months in the weather and then start on the project.....
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
well I'm going to try and help u with what you want rather than rag you. Wet sand your clear off and since you wont have any clear left your paint will oxidize much quicker and get the effect your after in about a show season or to with it being left in the elements with no show queen pampering. If you go through the paint o well it's still the look your going for. Just my two cents on your delema
granth   +1y
why not paint it.....make it look good. the old traditional rods are that way because it has character, shows the car has a history behind it. not that a guy sanded the car down and let it rain for a few days on it.

Why PURPOSELY ruin a vehicle? It's only cool when you find them like that.
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
I can agree with you Grant I also do believe that it does show history and character to the vehicle I'm just trying to help him with an alternative to what everyone else says. I do believe that it needs to be 60' and later to have that rustic look anything else newer may look a little cheezy yes. But I have seen some paint jobs (few) that look really realistic and old when the paint is new! these have been on older trucks and cars. So to the butcher shop whatever options have been given here take em or leave em it's your truck. Do with it what you will and if it looks good to you then who r we to tell u what is wrong with it!
Thebutchershop   +1y
i guess i asked for that, you guys can be a lil mean sometimes, i did want some opinions on the idea but damn, any way i can take critisism very well so no hard feelins, the van has bags and laid on 17 inch centerlines now and i drive everyday to work , its an ugly ass pee green with some lame graphics on the side now iwas jus lookin to do sumthin different for it, you dont see many of them around , in fact its the only one ive seen around like its style, its not a regular van its a ups style step van , im think more on the flat black and scallops idea or a the pinstriping, now that i got other opinions it does help in my decision, so like i said i can take critisizm and build on that , lol
granth   +1y
its nothing against you, i just HATE PAINT JOBS to look old. that defeats the whole purpose. You paint something to get rid of that shit. If you wanted that look, you should of went all out and found something old.
corey0814   +1y
i'm not sure if i completely understood the question, but if you just want it to look faded, about 20 minutes after you spray your last coat of clear, rinse out your gun & spray a VERY light coat of 100% solvent from about 24" away. i've done this on MANY collision repair jobs to "haze" up the fresh paint to make it come as close as possible to the rest of the faded-ass car. just be very light with it & very careful or you'll run it.

p.s. like i said i've done this for collision repair where people don't have the money to paint the whole car, & i know it's f**ked up, but what can you do? most cars it'd look better with the crushed fender than the fresh, shiny paint anyway, so go ahead & let the hating begin...........

good luck man.
granth   +1y
Originally posted by corey0814

i'm not sure if i completely understood the question, but if you just want it to look faded, about 20 minutes after you spray your last coat of clear, rinse out your gun & spray a VERY light coat of 100% solvent from about 24" away. i've done this on MANY collision repair jobs to "haze" up the fresh paint to make it come as close as possible to the rest of the faded-ass car. just be very light with it & very careful or you'll run it.

p.s. like i said i've done this for collision repair where people don't have the money to paint the whole car, & i know it's f**ked up, but what can you do? most cars it'd look better with the crushed fender than the fresh, shiny paint anyway, so go ahead & let the hating begin...........

good luck man.

haha, thats crazy that you can do that to match the car. makes sense though I guess. pretty neat anyways.
grip   +1y
Originally posted by framedragger

its nothing against you, i just HATE PAINT JOBS to look old. that defeats the whole purpose. You paint something to get rid of that shit. If you wanted that look, you should of went all out and found something old.

You know I hate that look to.I also hate the flat black my cars a turd fad everyone embraced so much but I am sure theres thousands of people that think what you do is super gay.My point is You should be supportive of anything custom if it makes a person happy.If he came on here asking for your opinion instead of advice I would give it to him.Grip//NC\\OKC
bendapirate   +1y
Do it old school! Van old school though. Not "rat rod." Put a big ass mural on the side! Something like a topless mermaid fighting a dragon and a dinosaur with a giant golden sword on top of a mountain!! LOL!