old school paint job

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 913
replies 33
following 21

granth   +1y
Originally posted by grip

Originally posted by framedragger

its nothing against you, i just HATE PAINT JOBS to look old. that defeats the whole purpose. You paint something to get rid of that shit. If you wanted that look, you should of went all out and found something old.

You know I hate that look to.I also hate the flat black my cars a turd fad everyone embraced so much but I am sure theres thousands of people that think what you do is super gay.My point is You should be supportive of anything custom if it makes a person happy.If he came on here asking for your opinion instead of advice I would give it to him.Grip//NC\\OKC

i gave him my advice. i dont see why i should support what he is doing really.

DenaturedAlcohol   +1y
Originally posted by corey0814

i'm not sure if i completely understood the question, but if you just want it to look faded, about 20 minutes after you spray your last coat of clear, rinse out your gun & spray a VERY light coat of 100% solvent from about 24" away. i've done this on MANY collision repair jobs to "haze" up the fresh paint to make it come as close as possible to the rest of the faded-ass car. just be very light with it & very careful or you'll run it.

p.s. like i said i've done this for collision repair where people don't have the money to paint the whole car, & i know it's f**ked up, but what can you do? most cars it'd look better with the crushed fender than the fresh, shiny paint anyway, so go ahead & let the hating begin...........

good luck man.

I wouldn't say there's anything F'ed up about it. It's what you do for a living. I have seen the super econo where that crap rolls out with a shiny azz hood/fender/door whatever and the rest of the car for real looks like it's been in a field for ever.
BggdNBdyDrppdJunk   +1y
if you want that old look i say go with the 2 or 3 coats of different colors and sand through the layers
ElCadillacKid   +1y
Originally posted by s1cryde

Do it old school! Van old school though. Not "rat rod." Put a big ass mural on the side! Something like a topless mermaid fighting a dragon and a dinosaur with a giant golden sword on top of a mountain!! LOL!

i 100% agree! no offense, but i think it's lame for someone to go for that hot rod/kustom look that doesn't fit into the of a hot rod. for example, i've seen Plymouth Valiants done up in flat black, scallops, pinstriping and it's really gay.

that look doesn't fit with a '73 Van, go for the '70s Van paint job like Ben suggested.
Thebutchershop   +1y
guess i hit a sensitive subject, lol, its cool guys i like the opinions keepem comin, i was havin a hard time comin up with a paint idea for this thing, its a big sqaure box , what do i do with a big sqaure box ? its layed hard , 17inch centerlines and drags good to, i jus gotta get rid of this yellowish green color its f***in ugly color, im tryin to keep it low budget i dont wana take to much time away from my truck , so keep the ideas comin ill try to post saome pis of it so you can help me out some, or go to www.myspace/eastcoastdraggers.com , i think thats right , if not you got the idea ,
Thebutchershop   +1y
thats a 73 c10 step van i got, ive already got the graphics and nice paint job , did that ten years ago, and its been sitttn under a tree in my brothers back yard for 8 years of that , it still hasnt given me look iwas tryin to get , so i guess lettin it sit for a while is out da question, tryed that alread, any way if you guys had it what would you do?
kboring   +1y
Originally posted by Thebutchershop

guess i hit a sensitive subject

It seems like every subject on this site is a sensitive subject...this site is full of a bunch of winey douches.

Ive seen some of those paintjobs on older vehicles that look good, but I cant help ya out on how to do them
granth   +1y
Originally posted by kboring

Originally posted by Thebutchershop

guess i hit a sensitive subject

It seems like every subject on this site is a sensitive subject...this site is full of a bunch of winey douches.

Ive seen some of those paintjobs on older vehicles that look good, but I cant help ya out on how to do them

more like opinionated people that would rather leave the patina to real cars with history behind the look.
granth   +1y
track down some old van magazines and do it up like that. those things were fucking DOPE. if i ever get an old van like that, its getting some old murals done up on it.