threads
Page 1 of 1
Truck Performance \  5.3 engine tick sound!!!

5.3 engine tick sound!!!

Truck Performance General Discussions
views 1833
replies 6
following 6

automatik23   +1y
i got an 02 avalanche it has always been run on 5w30 synthetic motor oil n i noticed a really faint ticking sound like it might be the valves...i was wondering if there would be any problems switching back to conventional oil to see if that fixes my problem...any suggestions? i heard the slight ticking is common on the 5.3
lucky_brew   +1y
did it happen to start ticking when fuel cost went tyhrough the roof? reason i ask is this: most people are using cheaper gas since its so fukin expensive and cheap gas tends to cause a tick in those engines...
Holeyguy66   +1y
lucky hit the naiil on the head. a faint tick on the 5.3 is common.
jsondrops   +1y
That would be spark knock,but it can also be caused by a leaking intake gasket.I wouldn't switch oil!
Several things are common on these engines,but i work at a gm dealership and complete failure is NOT common!
There alot of factors involved with a "faint tick"!!!
automatik23   +1y
thanks...what exactly is spark knock
lowkid37   +1y
i have an 08 5.3 and the tick seems to be getting louder since i first noticed it. and it only makes the noise in the morning when i leave for work at 630.  it only has 4700 miles on it, jw if its the same thing as the older 5.3s
72chevrolet   +1y
the tick your hearing, is not unusual, you most likely have lifters that are going to collapse, you will have to bug your dealer to get it fixed if its under warranty, if caught in time the repair is just replacing the bad lifters, and if u catch it too late u will need a camshaft also.
Page 1 of 1