threads
Page 1 of 1
Off-topic \  New lead on the murder of a friend...

New lead on the murder of a friend...

Off-topic General Discussions
views 1004
replies 1
following 2

Douggiefresh   +1y
I posted almost a year ago about the murder of my friend, and how they had not had any suspects. For those who kept up with me on it, here is an article that i have found.

Cops closing in A new lead in murder of Mark Fisher,but cops say key witnesses won't talk By MICHELE McPHEE and ALISON GENDARDAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS Mark Fisher Antonio Russo outside his house yesterday. Angel DiPietro Four months after the bullet-riddled body of a 19-year-old college student was found in Brooklyn, law enforcement authorities are closing in on the man they believe may have pulled the trigger.A teenage informer - awaiting sentencing on an unrelated shooting - has given authorities key information about the killing of Mark Fisher, police sources told the Daily News.

The informer, Gregory Ware, told authorities he saw his ex-neighbor and childhood friend Antonio (Tweed) Russo near the murder scene shortly after five bullets were pumped into Fisher, sources said.

Fisher's body was found dumped on the street in a yellow blanket.

"Everything we have points to Russo," said an investigator close to the case. "He changed his appearance the day of the murder. He went to California for a while. He gets arrested for menacing someone with a gun. We believe he's the guy."

The menacing charges were eventually dropped, and Russo has not been charged in the Fisher murder. Law enforcement sources said they are seeking more evidence to make a case against Russo in the slaying of Fisher, a sophomore at Fairfield University in Connecticut.

But detectives have been stonewalled by the silence of several of Russo's friends, who were with Fisher in his final hours at a house party in Ditmas Park.

The eight friends, all in their late teens or early 20s, have hired lawyers and closed ranks, law enforcement sources said.

"It is accurate to say the people at that party are uncooperative," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "We believe they all know more than what they are telling us."

Russo had accompanied Fisher to an ATM machine at a Coney Island bodega hours before the slaying, sources said.

After Fisher's body was found, Russo suddenly cut his dreadlocks - which he had worn since he was a child - a law enforcement source said.

"I didn't do nothing," Russo told The News yesterday outside his apartment building in Brooklyn. "Get away from me."

His mother, Evelyn Jennings, insisted her son is innocent.

"My baby didn't do this. He's no killer," Jennings said. "I know who did this. It wasn't my son."

Law enforcement sources said they have concluded that three people saw Fisher die: Russo, his good friend John Guica and an unidentified person.

Guica's attorney Lance Lazarro refused comment.

Even as they focus on the possible gunman, law enforcement authorities do not have a motive.

Fisher's wallet, with credit cards, identification and photos, was found in a sewer at Turner Place and Stratford Road, just steps from Russo's high-rise building and Guica's home. Yesterday, an NYPD poster offering a reward for information about Fisher's killers was posted on a lamppost above the sewer.

"We don't have a solid motive," said one law enforcement source. "They could have planned to rob him, thinking he was some really rich kid from Jersey, or it could be just a thrill kill, a spur-of-the-moment thing."

Fisher and some of his college pals came into the city from Connecticut for Columbus Day weekend. After a night of club-hopping, they ended up at Bar Harbour, a trendy Manhattan eatery.

Among the crowd was Angel DiPietro, 19 - the daughter of prominent lawyer James DiPietro. Angel DiPietro ran into a childhood pal, Meredith Denihan, and Fisher immediately took a liking to "Merri."

He spent most of the night chatting with Denihan, staying behind as his classmates headed back to campus.

After some snacks and some more booze, several of the gang - which had expanded to include Guica and Al Cleary - headed to Guica's house in Brooklyn, empty for the weekend because his parents were in Florida.

At the house, the group met up with some of Guica's pals: his half-brother, Matthew Guliano, 15; Thomas Saleh, 20; Gminsky Arty, 20, and Antonio Russo, 17.

Efforts to reach representatives for Ware, Guliano, Saleh, Arty and Denihan were unsuccessful.

"Everyone was drinking beer and wine and getting stoned. Some people were whacked out on Ecstasy," said a law enforcement source close to the case.

Before dawn, Cleary and DiPietro went to his house two blocks away where they passed out, leaving behind Fisher and Denihan, Guica, Guliano and Russo.

DiPietro's dad told The News his daughter was cooperating "150%," but knew nothing.

Law enforcement sources said it appears Fisher - wrapped in a yellow blanket from the Guica house - was lured into a car, where he was shot three times in the right side. He then was either pushed or fell from the vehicle, and attempted to crawl a few feet.

"The shooter jumped out of the car and pumped two more bullets into his back, killing him," said one investigator. "We only found two pieces of ballistics [from a .22-caliber handgun]."

Fisher's body was discovered on Argyle Road - less than 50 feet from the Cleary family's back door.

Cleary has met with detectives, but investigators feel he is holding back.

Susan Cleary said her son has been as cooperative as possible.

"My son has told all he knows," Cleary said as she walked her dog outside the family's home. "My heart goes out to those parents."

Fisher's parents, Mike and Nancy Fisher of Andover, N.J., are heartbroken and frustrated.

"It is hard enough to lose our son this way," Fisher's grieving mother told The News last week. "To have no one helping makes it so much harder. One of the people there, they did this. The others should talk."

What do they know?

Police believe these eight people may know who killed Fairfield University sophomore Mark Fisher.

Antonio Russo, 17

High-school dropout who cops believe may be key to solving the murder. He grew up around the corner from John Guica, who threw the party. Russo went with Fisher to an ATM hours before the murder.

Albert Cleary, 22

Bishop Ford High School grad who attends St. Francis College. His father, Albert Sr., is a wealthy investment banker who backed Robert DeNiro's Tribeca Grill. His mother, Susan, once ran for Congress.

John Guica, 22

Bishop Ford grad now at John Jay College. Law enforcement sources say he may have been there when Fisher died.

Matthew Guliano, 15

Guica's stepbrother. Described by police sources as a "good kid" who attends a Bay Ridge prep school.

Angel DiPietro, 19

Fairfield University student, daughter of prominent mob lawyer James DiPietro.

Meredith Denthan, 19

University of Vermont student who grew up with DiPietro in Garden City, L.I. Fisher was smitten with "Merri" and followed her to Guica's house party.

Gminsky Arty, 20

Bishop Ford grad who attends Seton Hall University. His parents own a store in Crown Heights.

Thomas Saleh, 20

Bishop Ford grad. Lives in Brooklyn with his parents.

Originally published on February 13, 2004
954chick   +1y
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I lost a friend of mine last summer to gunshots, and much like your case, no one is speaking. The police have chalked it up to "another troubled young man in the ghetto" who became another statistic and after being shot in the back and head 5 times, was left to die alone in the street. No one came forward, no one said anything....the killer will never be found.

At least you're lucky enough to have closure by seeing these cowards get what's coming to them. I hope they drop the soap.

Page 1 of 1