Page 1 of 3
Mazda 2.6L \  Push to start ignition?

Push to start ignition?

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9769
replies 22
following 9

eddiep23   +1y
quick question. I really like the look of a panel of switches to turn on a high performance vehicle such as my b26i what all would i have to do for it to work?
mazdizzle   +1y
All you have to do is wire in a switch using a relay to the starter wire. You will still have to turn the key on to unlock the steering wheel.
Cusser   +1y
Yeah, in general, you'll want a "normally open" pushbutton switch or spring toggle switch to actuate the starter. However, see this ignition switch diagram.
thread post photo

When you turn the key to "start", it also shuts off momentarily voltage to the accessories such as air conditioner, radio, etc. and the IG2 circuit. It also connects the L and E circuits together.
dan woodland   +1y
I will be doing this mod in the near future and will post how I do it. There were actually a couple done on MT but it's gone now - dang it, I was going to use that as a guide...

I already have the switch and I now have it all torn asunder so there is no better time I guess. Dan
mazdizzle   +1y
I have a push start button from a honda s2000 I had in my old beretta I may throw it in the mazda if there is a good place for it. Truck is at the shop
I'll look tomorrow
rg2200   +1y
I ordered a push button start for my B2200 - fairly simple install, I just had to cut the starter wire that runs from the ignition down the steering column, and put the new switch 'in line' with this wire. The switch fit perfectly in the cigarette lighter hole, and I moved the cigarette lighter to the hole on the left side of the steering wheel, where it fits, but doesn't always stay in when you unplug something from it. Mine lights up when the key is turned to On.

My next mod might be to tap another relay (the other relay is for the starter kill of the alarm) before the start button, that would be triggered from the Megasquirt ECU that I built, then it would cut the relay (cutting power to the push button start, turning the light off and disabling the switch) when RPM's are above about 500RPM. Then, in theory, you could push the switch and hold it and it would lose power (and therefore turn the light off and stop trying to turn the starter) once the engine is running on its own. Plus, any time the start button is lit, means the engine is off and the key is on. Plus, you couldn't accidentally hit the start button and grind the starter if the engine was running. I have a full proximity-type push button start/stop in my Infiniti (key never needs to leave your pocket), which I'm very accustomed to using, and once I accidentally pushed the start button in the truck to turn if off (which spun up the starter and gave me a quick 'grind'...)
eddiep23   +1y
How much would a basic one cost?
eddiep23   +1y
And which ones fit the b2600i? or are they all universal?
88mazdamini   +1y
when i got my mazda it had no key to start it. previous owner broke the key in the cylinder. he had it all jimmy rigged. what a friend/ club member ended up doing was taking the cruise control switch and making that a ghost switch to providing power for my accessories and we hid a button somewhere on the dash and thats for starting my truck.
eddiep23   +1y
mine doesn't have cruise...lol