Page 1 of 2
Mazda Interior \  alternator wires help

alternator wires help

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 7911
replies 10
following 3

vw62rag   +1y
hello everyone, i jus acquired a 91 b2200 and its a rat rod/bare bone type of truck, so all the wires have been ripped out and im only installing very simple wires, sofar i got it wired to run but now i need it to charge, on the back side of the alternator there are 4 wires and i need to figure out were they go.... i see a small red one, a large red one , a white/red and a black/white. heres a picture, any help would be AWESOME !!

thread post photo

midnightmike   +1y
the thick red goes to the battery if i remember correctly the other smaller red goes to the carb warming plate, and the 2 pin plug will be igniton and battery light, im not sure which one is which, but a simple way to find it is to unplug it, take a test light and probe the wires with the ignition on the run position
vw62rag   +1y
AWESOME !! thank you, so i got another question for ya, im not running any of that stuff, all i want it to do is charge my battery, period. i dont need a dash light, carb warming plate, and im not sure what the ignition ones for? what do i need to do to make it work? any help would be great !
midnightmike   +1y
well you need the ignition to "turn on" the alternator, the battery light wire is good to have if the alternator decides to shit the bed,

and about the wire for the warming plate, i might be wrong about that, it could also be the electric choke,

i have the same alternator, but both my trucks are fuel injected, so it doesn't use that small single 1pin plug
vw62rag   +1y
well i messed with it a little today... basically i hooked the fat wire to the battery... i still have no clue were to put the other 3? .... i cant test the ignition wire, the truck has no wiring. any help would be awesome.... does anyone have a wire diagram for a 1991?
chilnviln   +1y
I'm using diagrams from two different books since they're using different color codes

single plug=choke heater (mine is FI so I dont have this. book says yellow/blue)

dual plug white/red = ignition (book says black/white) and white/black = warning light (book says same)
vw62rag   +1y
thanks mike ill see if i can figure it out....

heres what i have left lol
thread post photo
vw62rag   +1y
so if i hook the white/red one to my ignition switch,
and the fat one (i think it was black) to the battery.
i should be good right?
chilnviln   +1y
yes? I haven't tried but it should. run a jumper from the plug to the alt and turn it over. if it starts you're good to go