Page 1 of 2
Tools \  Garage Floor Coating Opinions

Garage Floor Coating Opinions

Tools Q & A
views 2659
replies 11
following 2

baha   +1y
Has anyone had a good experience with coating their garage floor? I'm leaning towards the Rustoleum product but from the reviews I read, seems like it doesn't cover well.
baha   +1y
Going to start with this storage area first,going to be a pain to clean.
post photo
baha   +1y
Another pic
post photo
baha   +1y
Here are some pictures of the floor clean, and ready for paint. There are still some stains in spots but this is what we did.

1. General Sweep and Vacuum
2. Whole floor scrape
3. Wire wheel on stubborn spots
4. Spot treatment of oil and other stains
5. Two rounds of a complete floor cleaning with Degreaser and scrub brush
6. Two rounds of a complete floor cleaning with the concrete etcher and scrub brush
7. Two rounds of rinsing with clean water and a scrub brush
8. One final rinse with clean water and a squeegee
9. Sock Test, Brandy danced the night away in white socks to see if the floor still appeared dirty. Luckily it passed!
10. Complete wipe with tack cloths
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
I forgot to mention, also did the moisture test which involved taping a 2'x2' square of plastic over the concrete and letting it sit for 24hs to check for moisture. No moisture was found and there wasn't any discoloration of the concrete to indicate moisture.
baha   +1y
Some progress pictures, it's still wet in the pictures. After this cures, we'll be adding a clear coat.
post photo
post photo
truck action   +1y
My brother-in-law used the same product & had used it once before,said the only problem he had is if you drive in with wet tire the product will lift!!
I plan on at some time doing my garage floor & after researching found that you should not wash the floor, it should be ground with a concert grinder than vacuumed off, & to use a product that is used by professionals. Can be brought through Versatile Building Products !

Hope your coating holds up, looks good!
baha   +1y
Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye on that. I'm hoping that it's able to bond well by doing the cleaning, the concrete etch seems to work really well, much better than the degreaser.

Once this is cured, I bought a clear coat to put on top. It might be over doing it but it should look pretty shiny.
truck action   +1y
Most all the products I found had a recommended top coat!
After talking for some time to more than one company that installs garage flooring coatings, the same same was being told me that all of the Box Store type coatings were more like paint than epoxy coatings & any liquid at all used in the prep would not dry out of the concert for a lengthy time!!
Post was last edited on Aug 17, 2016 07:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
jaredmxg   +1y
I have had my garage done for around 4 years with a top clear coat from Rustoleum and it is lifting in some spots. I have noticed it cleans up well, but in areas where moisture is near like doorways it is starting to fail. I have done acid stains many times in the past and that is by far the most durable, plus it looks better IMO. Price wise you will spend just a little more.