threads
Page 1 of 1
Off-topic \  Anybody into Ultra4 racing??

Anybody into Ultra4 racing??

Off-topic General Discussions
views 1417
replies 5
following 2

guilty by design   +1y
Got a local buddy that races ultra4 and is qualified for the second year in a row to race in the King of the Hammers in early Feb. Me and the old man were gonna go out and attend but work is too busy and were not gonna make it. its pretty bitchin tho, check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSTc1qH7Rk
guilty by design   +1y
The course changes every year and is not known till a week or so from the race. The "hammer town" of about 30,000 people is nothing but desert year round till about the first of the year when volunteers build a self contained city just for the race. The course usually takes 8-10 hours to run and if you even finish you've accomplished something big.
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
That looks awesome! I've been getting into racing more and more the last two years, mostly drag racing but I'm going to have to check this out more.
guilty by design   +1y
Ultra4 is awesome. From a fabricating standpoint the work is out of this world. You gotta build something so tuff it can do 110 over whoops and then crawl over boulders and hold up without building something so bulky and overkill that it cant work. Competitively you have to be able to run a 10 hr race non stop bouncing around the inside of your rig, be able to navigate, and be able to get out and place rocks/winch lines. The people are awesome, the companies are behind it, the money is alright. Id like to see it televised or advertised more tho.
baha   +1y
Yeah I'm sure a lot more goes into engineering the suspension in one of those rigs then just being able to roll down the street. What is 110 over whoops? I'm an Ultra4 pre noob.
guilty by design   +1y
The course has rock crawling, trails, and a section through the desert where some of those rigs get up to 110. I believe Levi Shirley said he hit 118 last year. The top drivers are there a week early to tune the shocks, hitting a whoop wrong at 110 will send you barrel rolling for days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogNm8QbxhxA
Page 1 of 1