threads
Page 1 of 2
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Solid mount or floating cylinders?

Solid mount or floating cylinders?

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 3512
replies 11
following 7

dragginbonez   +1y
So, the question is this:If i was to run cylinders and accus w/ no coils up front on a double A arm car (think Mustang II for example), would it be wiser to soild mount it or i can leave it floating just like a "normal" coil set up?Im using Hydroholic cylinders btw. and using heims.

Same Q for the rear. Gonna be a cylinder on arm set up w/ powerballs.

I ask cause my thought after seeing Tre5 installs was weldin the outer sleeve to the donut and thread'em in from the bottom, but a mate of mine which did tons of hydro installs (Acrophobiacs BC) came to see the suspension and recons that a floating cylinder would be best regardless if i go coil-less or with coils. He thinks that theres no real point in welding them in a A arm fnt suspension set up, as opposed to a modern car where it bolts on the strut mounts. or like on Hondas where geometry is kinda "weird".

Makes any sense?
tre5   +1y
The upper mount needs to float, as you say. The only car I ever welded a doughnut to the threaded sleeve was on my mercedes and the doughnut was not bolted to the car. Normally I bolt in a doughnut to the factory strut tower and then the threaded collar (or jam nuts if they are my cylinders) just rest against the doughnut like this...In the hondas and other types of cars like a honda the cylinder needs to pivot at the top (and bottom) mount. If you were to weld it to the doughnut and bolt the doughnut in, it would try to bend the cylinder ram, and constantly be binding. I wish you would have gotten a hold of me sooner, we are coming out with a new type of cylinder that will work perfectly on custom types of installs and it sounds like it would have been perfect for your setup. But you can still get it done with the cylinders you have. If you're running a MII front suspension, the heim on the lower arm will be perfect. On the top you could do a bushing pivot like this (it shows the cylinder on an axle, but pay attention to the upper mount)...
post photo
post photo
dragginbonez   +1y
So you say that on that 1st picture that kind of mount has some articulation? I would have thought that was solid.

Second pic is a very clever set up. VERY, but dont think that would work on the front. althou you got me thinking, in a good way, and if i finally decide to go coil less pivoting the ram on top would be a good idea, rather than have it free floatin through a hole on the perch.

As for hondas, or McP. style suspension, what i meant is they need to be welded solid to the top pivoting mount, not soild as in w/ no articulation, but i realize my typin was misleading :)

Might need a pair of 6s for a mkIV polo soon thou....i'll let ya know, and thanx loads for the reply.
tre5   +1y
On the cars there is not a need for a lot of articulation, but yes that will allow the cylinder to pivot as much as is needed. I make the holes very tight (.010") to keep the noise to a minimum. I am currently working on a setup that will keep it totally quiet though. And working on a new cylinder as well. We have a lot of great ideas with Dice Suspension Components, it is just taking us some time to get it all going.This is how I did my Mazda a long time ago with cylinders that were not threaded...
post photo
artsar   +1y
Why not use one of those threaded power ball things that goes around the cylinder? Thats what I used for the back of my car. I had them floating at one point but figured solid mounted was better. (I don't have a picture of said item, but I am sure Jeremy knows what I mean). Either way I'd go with what Jeremy says, I took his advice on my car and its been going on strong for about 3 years now even with being driven in Canadian winters.
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
Nick,

I
dragginbonez   +1y
So basically what you sayin is that weldin the sleeves to tabs is not the best idea? I would guess that sleeves are great for Mac struts, where you can weld them to the top tabs, rather than weldin the cilinder to the top top part of the strut like we used to do, but thats it?

I like how that Mazda front look, really, but doesnt it need at least so give to the sides?
tre5   +1y
I'm not sure what you're saying about the mac struts, but that doesn't really apply to your application because you said you were running a setup similar to a MII.
On the mazda there is a tube welded to a sleeve that goes around the cylinder. The tube is holding a bushing and then the tabs off the frame hold the bushing to the frame.
If you're not already following the Dice facebook page, check it out and look for updates. We will hopefully be releasing a new style cylinder that will work perfectly for custom applications like this in a few weeks.
LAID TL   +1y
I like the second picture that you posted Jeremy :o)
dragginbonez   +1y
OK, i think is all clear now.
What i meant talkin about the Mac struts, was sort of a reply/question in regard to what Aaron said.
From what i understood from his answer he made it sound like it wasnt a good idea to mount a cylinder on a pivot, so i guessed except for McPh struts, as hydroholic sleeved cyl. seem to be born for those.... simple as that.
Thanx for the help guys.