accumulators with no shocks on a truck

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 3181
replies 18
following 13

HYDROHOLICS   +1y
--------------------------------------------

2LOW4U said:

Is it possible that one of my accumulators lost some of its charge? When I hit a bump now it feels like my car rocks side to side like on if the corners is less stiff.

It is possible, but not likely with your accumulators since they are plugged (as opposed to having schraeder valves, which tend to leak over time). Does your car still have the sway bars in it? If so, that can cause your car to ride odd if the car is not lifted level (side to side). The sway bar will be pulling down on one side causing the bladder in the accumulator to compress and not effectively absorb bumps as well. If you don't have sway bars then it is possible there is a slow leak in one of your accumulators, but like I said before...not likely.

2LOW4U   +1y
No the sway bars are disconnected. Is there a way I can test the pressure in each one?
HYDROHOLICS   +1y

2LOW4U said:

No the sway bars are disconnected. Is there a way I can test the pressure in each one?

Unless you know someone in your area with a charge port gun, then I can't think of how you could check them. I would just lift the car up and make sure it is dead level. Slowly hit a speed bump and feel the rebound. If the rebound isn't even, you may have one that has leaked. Also, check the labeling on the accumulator to make sure you have the matching pair to the front/back. Lastly, if you're able to deal with a little downtime on your car, send the accumulators to us and we can check them out for you. There are small o-rings on each of the plugs which we can replace if they are indeed slowly leaking. Let me know.
2LOW4U   +1y
Since these are a Parker product do they charge them at the Parker store? I know they are right front to back. This is my daily so I can't have it down.
tre5   +1y
If the corner has absolutely no ride to it then you may have blown the bladder. In that case the accumulator would be filling completely with oil when you lift the car. Most parker stores will not have the piece required to recharge the accumulator.
2LOW4U   +1y
I guess the easiest thing to do will be to buy one new accumulator and change it and see if it helps...
dragginbonez   +1y
So, basically, it will ride decent, but not as good as a car with a coil over cylinder w/ accus and or shocks. did i get that right?
Thanx for the tech explaination btw ;)
tre5   +1y
Unless you are a lowrider with hopping coils, accumulators with springs is pointless in my opinion. The reason lowrider guys have started using them is because hoping coils ride like crap. They will run shut offs on their accumulators so they can bypass them when they want to hop or dance. The accumulators end up soaking up the bumps and the coils probably don't even move.
In many cases, if you dial the accumulators in, it will actually ride better than a coil over setup. It depends on what kind of ride you think is good as well. If you like the way plush old Cadillacs ride than you will love accumulators, if you like more stiff/ sporty suspension setups than you will want to ad some shocks to stiffen up the ride.
dragginbonez   +1y
^^ thanx for that, i think im gonna try to set the car up w/ just cilinders, accus and stiff shocks.