threads
Page 2 of 3
Chevy/GMC Trucks \  88-98 chevy/gmc 1500 rear end swap a few inches shorter (what did you use)

88-98 chevy/gmc 1500 rear end swap a few inches shorter (what did you use)

Chevy/GMC Trucks Make Specific
views 40385
replies 25
following 14

bigperm   +1y
94-96 impala ss reear under mine. 3.5" shorter than a stock c1500 rear. should have discs and limited slip.

you can also use a caprice 9c1 rear. it typically has 11" drums. the widths are the same(or very close).

buick roadmaster/ caprice wagon rears would prolly work, but i beleive theyre slighty wider.

you will get a 5x5 bolt pattern from any 91-96 impala/caprice.

my only suggestion would be to press out the wheel studs, as theyre 12mm and your truck likely has 14mm studs up front. this way, all your lugnuts match.
laynon22s   +1y
definately go will the advice bigperm has given you.if i ever get to meet him i will gladly shake his hand.he has answerd many of my own questions concerning my 94 bodied ext.cab c1500.he knows his stuff.
4DOORWHORE   +1y
WORD thanx big perm big sherm big snake in the grass lol
bigperm   +1y
--------------------------------------------

laynon22s said:

definately go will the advice bigperm has given you.if i ever get to meet him i will gladly shake his hand.he has answerd many of my own questions concerning my 94 bodied ext.cab c1500.he knows his stuff.

diggit. glad i could help.

hit me up for all your 88-98 questions. ive made all the mistakes to learn from!
groundedbigbody   +1y
Perm any idea where I can find the same rear end set up like you have I'm wanting to toss my ford 9" for a stock rear but need something narrowed already
bigperm   +1y

groundedbigbody said:

Perm any idea where I can find the same rear end set up like you have I'm wanting to toss my ford 9" for a stock rear but need something narrowed already

salvage yards are your best friend in this case;
groundedbigbody   +1y
Damn I was there yesterday and did not even think to look there is a shut load of caprice cars there but disk brakes would be nice if I can find it I have disk conversion now on my currie ford 9"
4DOORWHORE   +1y

BigPerm said:

laynon22s said:

diggit. glad i could help.

hit me up for all your 88-98 questions. ive made all the mistakes to learn from!

i have a 94 1500 chevy and i think im guna swap a impala rear end w/ disc do u have to run a adjustable brake portioning valve for the rear disc

if so can u please post some pics of how that is set up
MOBNSIC   +1y
i have a 95GMC boddied on 24"s and i used a 73-87 chevy truck rear end if thats any help
bigperm   +1y

DD PREZ said:

i have a 94 1500 chevy and i think im guna swap a impala rear end w/ disc do u have to run a adjustable brake portioning valve for the rear disc

if so can u please post some pics of how that is set up

hey man.. mine is a 95 model. it has the Kelsey Hayes ABS brake proprtioning system; it essentially automatically adjusts to different brake pressures. it aint perfect, but hey, it works. ive also got a hydroboost setup on the truck from a 3500 model.

together, they make for awesome brake pressure, and a really firm pedal feel.

in a perfect world, i would do away with all the abs crap and go with a manual brake proprtioning valve. www.waylayedinc.com has some good stuff... if i ever get motivated, i'll buy one of these for mine...

http://www.waylayedinc.com/Waylayed2010/ww/products/DISC%7B47%7DDISC-Brass-Proportioning-Valve.html

being that yours is a 94, it should be pre-abs/ kelsey hayes unit, and one of these valves should do what ya need to do! good luck and let us know how it turns out!