threads
Page 1 of 3
Chevy/GMC Trucks \  88-98 chevy/gmc 1500 rear end swap a few inches shorter (what did you use)

88-98 chevy/gmc 1500 rear end swap a few inches shorter (what did you use)

Chevy/GMC Trucks Make Specific
views 40243
replies 25
following 14

4DOORWHORE   +1y
i have a 94 chevy 1500 and i have 9.5 wide wheels and im about to bodydrop it. i dont have 800-1400 to spend getn my stock rear end narrowed. so im wondering if anyone found a swap that could be used
bigredchevy   +1y
I swaped mine with a 1989 k5 rear end to clear my 24s and i still have room to body it cost me 150 bucks and its been in my truck for about two years no probelms so far
section8   +1y
you can use a 94 to 96 impala rear end. the ujoint is the same and its about 3 or 4 inches narrower. I've used them on a couple and you get disc brakes out of it
4DOORWHORE   +1y
--------------------------------------------

bigredchevy said:

I swaped mine with a 1989 k5 rear end to clear my 24s and i still have room to body it cost me 150 bucks and its been in my truck for about two years no probelms so far

ive been googlen' tryn to find widths on that 73-87 c10 axle
4DOORWHORE   +1y

section8 said:

you can use a 94 to 96 impala rear end. the ujoint is the same and its about 3 or 4 inches narrower. I've used them on a couple and you get disc brakes out of it

ive been really interested in this rear end but through all my google research ive found out that there is 3 different widths between the impala caprice, caprice 9C1, and wagons

did you run a brake portioning valve
4DOORWHORE   +1y
1 more bump before i hit up the junk yard this weekend
BK2LIFE   +1y
new axles are 245, or shortened and resplined for about 160

having someone narrow your housing is usually around 500.

the good thing about narrowing your axle is you can have a completely rebuilt axle, instead of hoping your junk yard axle doesn't die.

SHOWTIME   +1y
I would like to know for sure to as I have a 1991 Chev C1500 extended cab and want rear disk brakes but only a couple of brake companys have anything that will work on my truck and they want $2400.00 just for the brake parts thats way to much money. Does anybody know the bolt pattern for wheels on the caprice/impala? My full size is 5 on 5 and for some reason i I think the car pattern is like 5 on 4.5 or something like that but not 100% sure.
barsgsxr   +1y
gotta watch the caprice impala some are 5on5 others 4.75 by 5
4DOORWHORE   +1y

barsgsxr said:

gotta watch the caprice impala some are 5on5 others 4.75 by 5

WORD thats what im learning its best to take a spare rim/tire and test fit