Page 1 of 2
Under Construction \  my 87 ranger project

my 87 ranger project

Under Construction General Discussions
views 4417
replies 17
following 12

zms2004   +1y
ok, so i bought a stock 87 ranger that was slightly wrecked in the front. i decided to drive it here and there while i was building a frame for it. i used an s10 front clip, 2x3 frame rails, underslung chassis, running a 305 chevy small block with 700r4 . also using an s10 rear end with disc conversion. i had an s10 sitting at a friends that the body was shot but i bagged previously. i also bought a 49 ford shoebox dash years ago, and made it fit into this truck. im running all the 4 link bars under the axle, the cab was in good shape, but the doors were shot on the bottom and fenders needed fixed. stewranger on here gave me doors and 2 hoods which is awesome! i redid the cab floor and bed floor, i used a hagan auto gas door. ill load some pics then explain more later.

i have 2 - 3 gallon stainless steel tanks my buddy made at work. a summit fuel cell, everything is ran in stainless hardline. and stainless braided when needed. im running MMW no notch tie rods and suicidedoors upper and lower arms with 2inch drop spindles. im runing 18s right now, but everything is setup for 20s if and when i decide to run em.
zms2004   +1y
Edited: 5/24/2011 6:54:44 PM by zms2004

heres the floor in the cab and other things that ive done lately.

how i ran the gasline and brake line is similiar on other frame rail. i had joel at mindliss metal fab cut me some brackets.

so a buddy of mine is insane with an airbrush. he gonna cover the truck front to back. the paint color and scheme will be similiar to this:this is another buddys' s10 that my buddy airbrushed in 10 hours, he said he needed about 30 to do what he wanted.

im running cavy seats for now, but have some other seats i wanna pick up once everything else is done. just some random pics of other stuff on the truck.
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
ElCadillacKid   +1y
looks awesome! it is always great to see Rangers being built. are you gonna stick with those wheels?
zms2004   +1y
the dash is almost complete, have a little bit of finish work to do.

my only concern right now is, the motors not clearing the stock hood. its really close and ive lowered the motor as far as possible. or damn close. im considereing shavin the rain gutters on the truck, if anyone has done this, howd u do it and is it worth it?
post photo
post photo
post photo
zms2004   +1y
thanks man. i love th'ese rangers when laid out. as for the wheels, id love to get a set of alba blaze 20s or kmc novas 20s...but for now im rockin the 18" albas lol. they are one of my favorite wheels. i love a simple smooth 5 star wheel.
zms2004   +1y
everything up to this point, ive done myself, except weld the tanks, a buddy tig welded em at work. its been about 9 months since i actually started on the truck. i got new doors, new fenders. ill be running cadillac taillights, my goal is to have body work done and the entire truck in primer before june 12, my buddys dads club is havin a local show and id like to take it to the show.
bodydropped85   +1y
Pull that glass there is prob some cancer in there. The rain gutter is the seam for the roof. I think they look funky without them. Looks good tho!
zms2004   +1y
thanks james. ive been following your build for a long time. i use to check on it occasionally for updates. ive actually never pulled a windshield or rear window. i do need to pull both, i want a solid rear and i need a new windshield. ive pulled the chrome strips off around the windshield. it was clean, this truck actually came from lousianna i believe. i also shaved the wiper cowl. no wipers or anything...i just wish i could get the damn body straight...i hate body work.
ElCadillacKid   +1y
--------------------------------------------

zms2004 said:

my only concern right now is, the motors not clearing the stock hood. its really close and ive lowered the motor as far as possible. or damn close.

--------------------------------------------

bummer. maybe get a lower profile air cleaner?
zms2004   +1y
ya ive seen a few rangers running small blocks but they have an edelbrock air cleaner that i dont care for...alot of people said if the carb backfires the filter itself catches fire...which i really dont want. lol but i guess ill put this style on once i get everything tuned and setup...i hope it clears...

anyways i got the driver side caddy light bucket cut out, and welded in a few stake pockets and other shit tonight. im hopin to be ready to do body work to the bed by saturday.
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo