Under Construction \  Wishbone Question / Help

Wishbone Question / Help

Under Construction General Discussions
views 446
replies 4
following 4

Jcfreeman0   +1y
Edited: 1/4/2011 3:53:00 PM by Jcfreeman0

I'm building a wish bone for a truck and had a questions. Traditionally the front of the wish bone sticks forward towards the truck (the other 2 ends are on the axle in this case). Will it work the same if I reverse this and have the front bushing/barend sticking backwards? It would be pushing on the bar end instead of pulling. I have to fit this under a bed and this is just one of a few idea's I have. I wanted to get some opinions first though. It would be a 3" bar end w/ 1" stud that threads into the wishbone. Here is a very poorly drawn picture:
twisteddragger   +1y
As long as it is a triangle, it will locate the axle. The problem you may have is this will shorten the effective length of the wishbone, which may cause a greater pinion angle change and may pull the driveshaft either in or out throughout the travel of the suspension. As long as the pivot points are close to the same distance apart as the ones on the bottom bars, and stay close to parallel with the bottom bars, you shouldn't have this problem. Without seeing the setup, I would recommend tacking the wishbone together and cycling the suspension before actually welding it together. Good luck!
avs_jason   +1y

This wishbone is similar to what you are trying. Wraps behind and under the axle.
post photo
nissandoordragger   +1y
the only thing the suspension can see is the pivots so you can have the tubing going how ever you want becaus ethe suspension will not know the diffrence
Jcfreeman0   +1y
Edited: 1/4/2011 8:03:33 PM by Jcfreeman0

Here's a picture of the truck and the red represents the link bars. The lower links will have the bags on the bars. The upper will be a bent piece of 1 3/4" dom similar shaped to the bridge cross member. If anyone thinks this wont work or has any ideas im open for constructive criticism. Just trying to do this right the first time. The bed comes comes down just past the bed mounts so space is limited.

Also I plan on the front of the upper wishbone to have a 1" stud welded on the bar end that threads into the wishbone so I can adjust the pinion angle
Page 1 of 1