threads
Page 2 of 2
Mini Truckin General \  My 06 canyon runs after u take the key out!!

My 06 canyon runs after u take the key out!!

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 4891
replies 16
following 10

1SICKCANYON   +1y
I was writing on there trying to get that guy to chime in and havnt heard anything back. The weird thing is it's not all the time that it's happening... Like I went to dinner tonight and on the way there the check engine light came on and when I shut the truck off and took key out... It stayed running and then the check engine light stayed on. So I undid the possitive battery cable. Went into dinner ate came out hooked back up and was fine for the 30 mile drive... Get home take the key out truck shuts off like it should and no check engine light! WTF! It wouldn't bother me at all but I think it's drawing power when it Sits and kills my battery!
cuzican   +1y
Yeah, I realized you posted over there after I posted here.
Well, if the motor's running then the alternators charging the battery and it shouldn't draw any power, if that makes you feel any better.
1SICKCANYON   +1y
Well once the trucks off and sits for the night... It sat For prolly 6 hrs and truck wouldn't start
driptruck   +1y
Have you had anyone plug in a code scanner? You can go to Orilies and use a scanner. If the check engine light is comming on it should leave a code. Whe you disconnect the battery you are resetting the computer. Then it works fine for a while and then codes. Maybe if you scan it with the light on a code will read that will lead you to the problem? I would disconnect the battery when you don't use it if there is a draw, if something is rubbed through? it could endup burning possibly. I would jack it up and inspect as much wiring as possible. Could be as simple as a bad ground! Look it all over thats cheaper than paying the dealer, which sounds like where you may end up. Maybe even try hitting up a tech at a dealer. You may find one that is into your truck and will give you some new ideas. They see this stuff everyday. Sounds electrical an most thoes probs are bad ground or bad connection plug.
ashvdbx   +1y
Edited: 11/25/2010 12:28:24 PM by ashvdbx

if you mean its running (not dieseling ) full on running then its probably the ignition module under the psngr side dash.( on a roadmaster) so gm so maybe in the same spot on yours... also on my roadmaster wagon it did this and it was that relay that goes bad. then thats would cause it. on some cars the ac blower will keep blowing when the car is off when the a/c blower motor module goes bad. same thing. so if it is running try that first
1SICKCANYON   +1y
So I think I fixed it. I found a guy that had the same problem with his Colorado... He found it was a short between the cruise control and heated seat fuses... Well I don't ha e heated seats so there was never a fuse n there... I pop a fuse n there and the truck shuts off when I take the key out now... Idk if this completly fixed it or just temporarly fixed it but she's runnin good now... So damn weird!
Grant Kustoms   +1y
if it happens again it sounds like your alternator is on the fritz. If the exciter post on the alt back feeds it will not let the car shut off. Also check the ign switch and the harness from the alt. early 90's fords had that problem