threads
Page 1 of 2
Mini Truckin General \  My 06 canyon runs after u take the key out!!

My 06 canyon runs after u take the key out!!

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 4870
replies 16
following 10

1SICKCANYON   +1y
So just recently it started doing this... It's an 06 gmc canyon 2.8 4cyl with a manual transmission. So when u take the key out of the ignition it will stay running for a good 10-20 seconds then shut down. My main concern is it's draining my battery after it does this and sits for any amount of time, weather it's an hr or over night... Anyone have any ideas cus I'm stumped! Sum have said maybe the ignition is bad or something shorting out with the PCM. But I have no idea. The other weird thing that goes along with it every so often the check engine light will stay on even of the key is off and out and truck is shut off... Sorry for the long post but need to figure this out asap it's my daily...
kaoss   +1y
It's your turbo timer...
phat phabrikationz   +1y
Do you have an electric fan that isn't using a relay?
1SICKCANYON   +1y
Not running an electric fan...
DRGN4DR   +1y
There is a bulletin for the check engine light staying on. As for the running when key removed, if this doesnt fix it, my guess would be the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

Subject: SES Light Remains Illuminated When Key Is Removed From Ignition

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Colorado Pick Up 2004-2007 GMC Canyon Pick Up

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4054A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that when removing the key from the ignition the Service Engine Soon (SES) light remains illuminated.

Technicians may find DTC P1682 and P2610 stored. This may be the result of the following relays in the Underhood Bussed Electrical Center (UBEC) installed in the wrong position: Relay 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 and 56. These relays are located near a number of empty cavities in the UBEC that are not utilized for this vehicle. During service, these open cavities may have been confused with the correct location resulting in the relay being re-installed in the wrong position. The above symptoms were the only ones noted however other symptoms may apply.Recommendation/Instructions:

Review the Electrical Center Identification View below. Be sure the body of the following relays are in their correct positions.

Relay 51 - Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor, Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly

Relay 52 - Fog Lamp - LF, Fog Lamp - RF

Relay 53 - FR PK LP Fuse, RR PK LP Fuse, RR PK LP2 Fuse

Relay 54 - RH HDLP Fuse, LH HDLP Fuse

Relay 55 - Horn Assembly

Relay 56 - ETC Fuse, O2 Sensor Fuse

post photo
1SICKCANYON   +1y
Thank u very much! I'll have to figure out of I have something In the wrong spot...
JPerry   +1y
Well I had the same problem with my 2000 s-10 and I told my buddy whos a lexus mechanic and he said it sounded like built up carbon deposits or something to that effect so he told me to take a regular spray bottle and put it on the finest misting setting and have some one spray into the intake (with filter off) when I reved up the motor. So I though it was BS but I did it anyways and it fuckin worked and my truck would stop running right after I took the key out I guess the moisture helped clear out those carbon deposits and to this day I havent had a problem with it. Its worth a try. Buy the way saw ur truck at sema its fuckin badass, love it!
1SICKCANYON   +1y
Jperry thanks for the advice I'll try it out when my buddy comes over... And thanks for the props on SEMA. Was such a last minute thing for the truck to be there. Glad u like it!
1SICKCANYON   +1y
So I tried the spraying water into the intake. Didn't work... Kept it at a steady 3000 rpm and still nothing