Page 1 of 1
Under Construction \  2005 chevy control arm swap

2005 chevy control arm swap

Under Construction General Discussions
views 555
replies 5
following 3

infamous 12   +1y
I bought choppin block control arms, had them installed and found out that i lost a good amount of my turning radius. I found out that that the tie rod and wheel was getting hung up on the arms because they stick out to far in the front. I called avs where i had bought them and the jerkoff had the nerve to tell me these are a aftermarket product and what do i expect, i expect them to work as good as stock if not better. So i got new arms from airbagit.com and they match the stock ones perfectly, ill never buy from avs again, i cant stand ignorant people who dont know squat.
brocowens   +1y
I didnt lose any turning radius w/22's... I know w/ 20's or smaller wheels hit back of control arms. I knew all this before purchase though cause i looked into them, called choppin block direct was very informed on wheel fitment issues only problem that i've had is drop spindle and ball joint crush the brake line at max lift bought steel braided problem fixed... I've never been treated the way you explain from avs. My opinion one of the best companys out there.(If u wanna sell those let me kno i could use a extra set
infamous 12   +1y
Edited: 11/21/2010 11:31:26 AM by infamous 12

Edited: 11/21/2010 11:16:51 AM by infamous 12

I tried to put pictures up to show what i mean but it did'nt work because I don't have the program to resize the pictures, but they are on my face book page. I just have the bottom set changed for now, I'm not sure if I'm going to change the uppers yet. (joshua petrissans on face book)
infamous 12   +1y
Edited: 11/21/2010 12:11:59 PM by infamous 12

With my truck (2005 chevy) I like to ride stock height (because the police in bakersfield think that everyone who has a nice truck is a drug dealer or a thug), so what was happening to lose my turning radius was that where the steering tie-rod connects to the spindle. The bolt that hangs down and was catching the front of the arm. the factory arm curves in the front to have room for the tie-rod bolt, because on mine it hangs down. the choppin' block arms don't have that curve in the front, and that is what was hitting. I found out when I tried to make a u-turn and had to back up to be able to make it, I did'nt build a trailer queen I like to drive my chevy. haha!
brocowens   +1y
i kno what ur talkn bout. i run drop spindles lock ta lock 1/4 inch from control arm. by the way i drive mine too 44000 miles on the control arms... no disrespect to AIM but i wouldnt run those cause i hate the stock lower ball joints just my 2 cents
infamous 12   +1y
Edited: 11/21/2010 7:33:58 PM by infamous 12

My aim arms came with heavy duty balljoints, that is what I was afraid when I saw the picture one their website that I'd have to use the stock balljoits. So when I called to order them (the bottom only) I asked if they came with balljoints and they said yes. I wasn't trying to badmouth avs if that what it sounded like just sharing my dealings with them, I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences them and I respect your opinion. But what the dude told me really ruffled my feathers, and I said never again I don't need to be talked to like I'm a punk, because I didn't talk to him with a attitude. He should have just told me that he couldn't help me and recommended me to choppin' block themselves
Page 1 of 1