Page 1 of 3
Tools \  Chassis table build

Chassis table build

Tools Q & A
views 6172
replies 28
following 14

unusualfabrication   +1y
I see alot of people asking about frame/chassis tables and I happen to need one for an upcoming chassis, so i'm building one. I figured I would throw up some pics of the design and the build of it.

Heres the design in Solidworks, its 146" long x 60" wide x 30" tall. The top is 2x3 and the legs and braces are 2x2.

Heres all the stock:

I'll post up more as I go!
unusualfabrication   +1y
Sorry for the large pics!
tlw32882   +1y
what do you have $ wise in materials?
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 10/10/2010 3:10:33 PM by UnusualFabrication

The cost was roughly $400 for what's in the pile and it will build the entire table. The only thing I have yet to buy is 6 adjusters for the feet, which i'll probably use large bolts, so I can level it out and some nice casters so I can move it out of the way.
tlw32882   +1y
that isnt too bad. Im thinking about building a table when time comes but im not going to be doing commercial just my own stuff. Im not really sure I can justify building a table just for my self though
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Just a suggesgion on the casters... I built two identical frame tables last winter, and i had decided to buy two different sets of casters for them to test them out. The HD inflatable casters that they sell at harbor freight and northern tool and even ebay... they are junk. They say they can hold 1000lbs each, but the just bassicly deflate and are a pain in the ass to roll around, its nice when you have like 20psi in them, but thats 18 over what they reccomend lol.

I ended up switching to the hard composite casters, 5" diamiater, and LOVE them! i can push the table out of the shop, and down my gravel drive way with ease.

Taylor
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

DragaDodge said:

that isnt too bad. Im thinking about building a table when time comes but im not going to be doing commercial just my own stuff. Im not really sure I can justify building a table just for my self though

If its just going to be a one time thing you could probably just use a nice 4'x8' sheet or two of thick MDF. I have seen some decent tables made of wood sheet and 2x4's. As long as its flat and you level it you can build anything on it and you can screw pieces of wood to it to hold your parts in place while you work. I was going to do that because the price was nice but I plan on using this table for many of years.
unusualfabrication   +1y

Chopped Mazda said:

Just a suggesgion on the casters... I built two identical frame tables last winter, and i had decided to buy two different sets of casters for them to test them out. The HD inflatable casters that they sell at harbor freight and northern tool and even ebay... they are junk. They say they can hold 1000lbs each, but the just bassicly deflate and are a pain in the ass to roll around, its nice when you have like 20psi in them, but thats 18 over what they reccomend lol.

I ended up switching to the hard composite casters, 5" diamiater, and LOVE them! i can push the table out of the shop, and down my gravel drive way with ease.

Taylor

Thanks for the tip Taylor! I was planning on using something heavy duty for when I have to move the table. I plan on mounting the casters off the side of the legs with the bottom of the wheels just under the bottom of the legs. That way when the adjusters are all the way in the wheels will touch the ground, ready to move around, and when the adjusters are out the casters will be off the ground, leveled and ready to build on. I have heard of people just using the casters to screw in and out to level, but after sitting for any period of time with the weight of the table and whats on it, they develop flat spots and are a pain to roll around. Any supplier or part numbers for the castors you are refering too?
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Im not sure on the part number on them, i got them from a local place called industrial warehouse.. i think there are others around the state as well.

I had initally used threaded inserts to level off the table, but being that i adjusted it so much and moved it so much around the shop, i found some trailer jacks, from that same place, for 12.99$ and put one of them at all 4 corners, now i can level it off anyware very easy with just cranking the jack, and swing them out of place when im rolling it around. It ended up being a bit more than i wanted to spend, but it worked really well.

Taylor
unusualfabrication   +1y
I'll keep that in mind! Maybe i'll do the same and just mount casters under the legs and then put set back jacks on the side of the legs.