threads
Page 1 of 1
American Cars \  Any knowledge on a 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible?

Any knowledge on a 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible?

American Cars General Discussions
views 486
replies 2
following 2

DOWNHERE   +1y
About a month ago I posted a topic looking for 1 bc a friend of mine is trying to get one...  Well he found one and we picked it up last week.  For the price, the car is in great shape.  It doesnt start, but I sprayed some Starter fluid in the Carb and it turned over for a second or 2... The gas line was cut so thats why it didnt stay on...  The Carburetor has been seized up and pretty much needs to be fixed or get a new one.  This sounds nuts, but we dont know what size engine this car is yet... we are still waiting on ford to get us info on the car.  Anyway, If anyone has any knowledge at all about this car, no matter how small or how big, please post and help us out... If anyone knows of people to contact for parts, contact for info, etc... If anyone knows anything about the convertible tops that will also be helpful.  As for the Carb, I know chevys better than these ford/lincolns, I have no Idea what car should fit if he needed to replace... Any info on that would be awesome as well!

Thanks!
shpaint1   +1y
its either a 430 MEL design or on a rare chance a 460 FE design, if its the FE there's a ton of parts for it and many many different options, the MEL ones on the other hand are rather hard to find stuff for,  If its a FE then most any Holly or edelbrock 800 or 850 square bore carb will work, if its the MEL then a adaptor may be necessary, ( a few of the early ones had a staggered rear carb studs for some strange reason) also some of the MEL blocks had a funky vacuum line port on the back of them for the auto trans and this could be hard to find, maybe some swap meet folks can hook ya  up with a manifold to use the square bore on it, maybe its been changed all ready, take a Holley 850 base gasket and see if it will fit the studs.Other then the carb studs the MEL blocks are almost the same as the FE blocks, mains are larger and the web design is a bit stronger and the valve covers have a different look to them, FE heads will fit but then you have to use the FE valve covers. one side note here you should know about, theres two MEL engines you should be on the look out for, one is the 410  marauder, single 4 barrel and awesome power around 345 stock horse power, the other is the 430 super marauder, dual 4 barrel it had about 465 horse power its nick name was the bulldozer, either one of them will bolt right in, if you could snap a picture of the engine please do and i can farther identify it for you, i have quite a collection of these engines to compare yours too, i have them up to 540 cu and over 720 horse power (this is in my boat) . one last thing on the passenger side head, on the front theres a casting thats been mechined flat, dois it have one hump with a drilled and taped hole, or two humps with 2 holes and one is taped? and the casting numbers are on these heads above the exhaust ports, it will say something like C5VH or something along those lines,  let me know those numbers and i can tell ya exactily what it is. As far as the top goes what do you need to know about it? theres a ton of lincoln/mercury website out there that have a ton of replacment parts for um man
DOWNHERE   +1y

Thanks a lot man, u know your S*&T!  As a matter of fact, the carb does have that wierd vaccuum hose behind it.  We will take pics soon of the engine, and post it here.  but being that it has that vacuum hose, do you know from that exactly what he has? 
Page 1 of 1