threads
Page 2 of 2
Ford Trucks \  Rack & Pinion on 2002 Ford Ranger!

Rack & Pinion on 2002 Ford Ranger!

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 2381
replies 16
following 7

low99maz   +1y

well let us know how it works out!!!!!
j&jkustomz   +1y
Ok Its been awhile since I been on here talking about the Rack & Pinion of the Ranger! I went ahead and got the Reg cab one because it was Cheaper and tried my luck! It worked fine! I put my old one and the new one side by side and nothing looked different! So I went home and cramed it under the truck and it worked just fine!.. It took me to Spring Fling with out a problem.. Put new DJM control arms, new ball Joints, new Rack & Pinion and inter/outer tie rods in! New tires and alignment! truck rides like a Caddy! So if you guys have to change your racks out, a Reg cab is cheaper and works the same.. I think the difference I can tell is the Ratio in turns! Its like the new one takes more turns to fully turn the wheels then the last one! But it could just be me since I did all the work compared to what it use to be!DJM Control Arms I found in a Junk YardOld Modified Control armsDragged thru!Cutting the old Mounts off because they was Dragged thru!New ends and shock mounts!

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
low99maz   +1y

Thats strange....should have turned the two racks manually when they were side by side to see if there was a difference!
j&jkustomz   +1y
I did!  I couldn't tell a difference! But I know it works and I'm $75+ in the good! Its very strange that they would mark up the price just for it being a reg and ext cab!  I know one time on my 96 when doing the Clutch I had to change the Master and Slave cylinder and the High Pressure line that was already in the truck was different. Had to buy one of those to! Just goes to show ya, Nothing one a FORD will interchange with out some Modification!    
clenzer72   +1y
Isn't it only like 1/2 or a 1/4 rotation difference?
As soon as I started reading this I remeber having the same issue when I had to replace mine on my 01....all I remember was the wheel rotation is less on the x-cab lock to lock.
Uncle Fester   +1y

Thanks for the FYI, my steering is up for renewal soon and this will sure help.  Thanks
j&jkustomz   +1y
Clenzer!  That sounds about right! Its not much off but it worked and saved me a $1 or 2.. I'm happy with it.. I'm redoing the Drive shaft now and replacing the sway bar linkage with something alittle stronger!  I will post more pics up out thru the week.. Gotta get ready for Show Fest!   Uncle Fester!  If you have any questions when you start the tear down, Holla at me and I'll be more then happy to fill ya in on what I found out about the front suspension!  Did alot of research when I started.. (So I wouldn't have to redo it in the long run)..