Page 1 of 2
Body work and Paint \  PPG Ruby Red Slipper

PPG Ruby Red Slipper

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 5808
replies 10
following 7

xgolferdude   +1y
Hey guys is the PPG Ruby Red Slipper a true "candy"  Im not a painter but I saw that color on a older hot rod called ruby red slipper. I have fallen in love with it...  I was curious if most people are using a gold base or a silver base when shooting this color?  Thanks guys...   Also I've talked to some guys in my area that thinks the gold base makes for a richer color and make it look deeper is that something that yall have found or no?  Again thanks guys!
slammedcivicsi   +1y
If its the dark wine colour I think it is, then it shouldnt have a silver or gold base. Its still going to be a same old Candy apple red dye, but your base will be probably a charcol grey or even a blue.  -Brad
xgolferdude   +1y

anyone else know fo sure?
dragn168   +1y
you could try spraying a couple small test panels with the different bases to see how it looks
slammedcivicsi   +1y
go see your local ppg jobber, they will have a colour chip deck.
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y

Im pretty sure its not a candy just a tri stage over black but sprayed for coverage.I dont have my vibrance deck with me or I could look it up. One of my buddys was really wanting his truck this color and then went a totaly different way with it. and we looked at so many colors i cant keep them all straight from the deck.   It is in the vibrance line so most shops cant mix it just the jobbers, it isnt cheap compared to some stuff out there but its not them most exspensive either. I think it was in the 850 a gallon range.
xgolferdude   +1y

it is a vibrance color.. that im sure of but i wasnt sure what that was lol.... thanks !
lowblazin96   +1y

I believe JD is correct that this is a tri stage over black. It is part of PPG liquid crystal line which is a very costly line.
seanb   +1y
Edited: 12/22/2009 8:16:41 PM by seanb

Sorry to tweak the subject,I love PPG paint but they really are playing catch up with HOK. I was wild about the new radiance––finally thought they understood how they could compete in the custom paint market. But sadly, after I started pricing it I knew they are still behind the curve. HOK knew a long time ago where their niche was and it's paid off. Everyone seems to request their brand right off and most customers don't even know why they want HOK. Just that all the hottest builds are sprayed with it.  I don't BUY a lot of volume of paint through my jobber but I can help SELL a lot of paint when a cover truck or something really high profile is specked out as having a particular brand of paint on it. That's what HOK is doing right. IMO
drgn91yota   +1y

It is just tri coat over balack here is all there tri coats and then just the ruby slippers not in sun tho sorry 
post photo
post photo