threads
Page 1 of 7
Photography \  What do you think makes a great shot?

What do you think makes a great shot?

Photography Q & A
views 2086
replies 61
following 30

Johnny O   +1y
When you look at a photo can you pinpoint what makes a great shot immediately? Does it differ for you between automotive photography and portraits? 
impulse   +1y
For sure it differs between what you are shooting. I find automotive photography to be FAR different than portraits or landscapes. HArd to compare really. You compose them differently, you're eye is drawn to different things.  This is probably the best landscape photo i've taken.
post photo
Johnny O   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by iLLairgasmI find automotive photography to be FAR different than portraits or landscapes.--------------------------------------------- I agree that portraits are dramatically different, but I think I'd lump automotive and landscapes with the same general set of rules... soft light, dramatic skies, singular focal point, etc. What makes a great auto/landscape photo for you?
Kronicles   +1y

This is sweet, I've always thought this site could use a spot like this!  Surprsied your asking this question though. I've seen your stuff on your myspace and I have to say awesome work. Going back to the question, I'm self taught and have learned a lot over the years. I think the biggest thing is that vehicle photgraphy is a lot more about angles and settings. Portraiture to me has been more about lighting and backgrounds. It all really depends on where your shooting and what lens your using. I've had the pleasure of using quite a few different cameras and have to say for every camera things will slightly differ and you can end up with a completely different shot sometimes even shooting in the same spot. The biggest factor / variable that can be adjusted and used in so many different ways I think has to be your flash! The biggest thing is reading into what your doing, I've simply picked up books to get to where I am now and hope that in the long run I can end up at one of the mags out here as a photog once I'm done here with the USMC. We'll see though. Thanks for the oppotunity to throw some input out there Johnny, I think this section will definately creat some major traffic!!
impulse   +1y
Well with automotive you are usually including the landscape as well, but with the vehicle as the main subject I guess right.  Having a great background/landscape with the vehicle will just make the picture that much more appealing. I wouldn't say there is a specific thing that makes a great auto/landscape for me, its many elements combined to make that great shot.
impulse   +1y
That was a good mention on using a flash (most importantly off camera flash. I've recently picked up a couple flashes and remote triggers, im looking forward to using them in some auto shots.  A key thing that i've read about auto shots is that its not so much of lighting the vehicle its in lighting what the vehicle is reflecting (more important for nite shots I would say)
puddin06   +1y

Did you photoshop that picture at all or is it left alone?
impulse   +1y
Its HDR. Not heavily HDR though. Tried to make it looks as natural and beautiful as it was in person.
Johnny O   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by iLLairgasm A key thing that i've read about auto shots is that its not so much of lighting the vehicle its in lighting what the vehicle is reflecting (more important for nite shots I would say)---------------------------------------------  I'm not sure if you worded that correctly, Corey. Lighting is fundamentally the most important part of automotive photography. Direct and harsh lighting that you would get in the middle of the day isn't what you shoot for, soft lighting during the sunrise or sunset is what you're after. Perhaps that's what you meant with "what a vehicle is reflecting."
impulse   +1y
Edited: 4/9/2009 2:31:14 PM by iLLairgasm

somewhat what I meant...  Im saying that in some cases when using off camera flash for a vehicle you don't actually need to light the vehicle, and should light what the vehicle is around... like a wall, the vehicle will pick that up in the reflection, which in turn is actually lighting the vehicle.   Im confused as shit by what im saying, but in my head it makes sense... haha.  Maybe it was more directed towards black vehicles... I can't remember.   You are right though, you don't want that harsh mid day light. Early morning and sunset is perfect lighting for a vehicle shoot (well most shoots in general.)