Mini Truckin General \  Machining 22.5 rims for 22" rubber

Machining 22.5 rims for 22" rubber

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 68252
replies 47
following 31

liljlowrider   +1y
Originally posted by getto

i know alcoa mills the rim size down to a 22 my buddies dually is set up like this got them already milled down so a lo pro 22 fit.

ALCOA wont do it and they will tell you that you are crazy if you have it done.

just let your machine shop guy practice on some of the old take offs first so he doesnt mess up your good ones you pick out.

P   +1y
the lip isnt machined down, but right behind the lip is where the bead seals, that is what gets machined down..
huskerdually   +1y
Okay maybe I went a little over board yesterday having a bad day.

But if I remember right every size wheel has different shape and radius to it's bead. It's not just the size of the bead but it's actual shape you got to get right. They do this so people don't try and mount 20's on 22 inch rims and so on.
rangerrudy   +1y
Originally posted by bdroppeddak

yay im right! oh yea whoever did the wheels that we saw was def not a pro, the wheels looked more scored than machined, but a tire/wheel shop did order them from someone....

It really doesn't matter if you see tool marks in the wheel as long as you have the right size.....Have you ever seen the inside of a B.A.D wheel... they are not perfectly smooth and they are pro's!
okcderek   +1y
Edited: 2/22/2008 11:25:42 AM by Big Dee

Edited: 2/22/2008 11:25:15 AM by Big Dee

Edited: 2/22/2008 11:24:25 AM by Big Dee

Originally posted by huskerdually

Okay maybe I went a little over board yesterday having a bad day.

But if I remember right every size wheel has different shape and radius to it's bead. It's not just the size of the bead but it's actual shape you got to get right. They do this so people don't try and mount 20's on 22 inch rims and so on.

It's ok if you had a bad day, I forgive you.
okcderek   +1y
If you have a machine shop thats willing to do it, and is close to you, then your lucky. Cause all the machine shops here in Okc that we contacted about doing it(I own 2 semi trucks and have access to 22.5s) would not touch then or even try. Even when we offered to sign a waiver taking liability away from them.
huskerdually   +1y
I got a machine shop that would do it for free.
B_Y_O_B   +1y
so after all that shit talkin i was right??? theres no way......
huskerdually   +1y
About what, that if you stretch your tire over a standard unmilled 22.5 your a moron.

Than yes you are right.

Or that no one wants to share the secret.

Yes you are right there also.

B_Y_O_B   +1y
i said it can be done and it will hold air...... but i also said that you mill the bead surface not the actual lip of the rim, which can only be done on a aluminum 22.5 not a steel wheel because the steel wheels dont have the extra material thickness that most alum. ones have, i also didnt recommend anyone to strech a tire over a 22.5 just said it could be done implying that it will fit over the lip the same. and for anyone that thinks its unsafe to strech a tire, id rather have a tire blow out than have a billet 8 to 10 lug wheel adapter shit out and blow a whole wheel off your truck...... last but not least i was just throwin out some info, just tryin to help out..... but if it helps you sleep at night to talk shit to a complete stranger over the internet then so be it, i wont loose any sleep