threads
Page 1 of 3
Body work and Paint \  Matrix Systems Paint, anybody use it?

Matrix Systems Paint, anybody use it?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 8928
replies 22
following 19

spraybomb   +1y
Edited: 11/20/2007 11:21:19 AM by spraybomb

I like their colors and similarity to HOK. It also seems that both OEM colors and custom colors can be made from one system, which would be nice! I've sprayed a couple colors before and they worked awesome, but I recently heard someone saying a local bodyshop was using them and having delamination problems. I do know that they were using cheap primers underneath and a different brand of clearcoat, so that may have been the problem. Anyone got some feedback? Good, bad or indifferent?

* Guess I should mention also.....I'm starting my own Custom paint and airbrush shop and I need a good paint system. I like the Matrix cause it's compact (all colors can be mixed from one system). Most of my work will be custom, so I really don't need a huge selection of OEM colors. Plus I'm on a pretty tight budget. Any suggestions?
killerc10   +1y
YA BRO THE CUSTOMS STUFF IS OKAY AND EASY TO USE BUT I'VE USED IT FOR 2 YEARS AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT IF YOUR A PRODUCTION PAINTER THE COLORS DONT MIX WELL OFF THE MACHINE AND THE STANDARD COLOR IS A LEAST 2 SHADES OFF. THIS IS REAL BAD WITH THE GM REDS,BLUES,GREENS, TOYOTA IS AS BAD, PRETTY MUCH EVERY METALLIC IS OFF AND NEEDS TO BE TINTED.THE QUALITY OF THE SPRAY IS GOOD.I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE CLEAR COMING OFF I USED MATRIX PRIMER,BASE AND CLEAR. IT WAS OKAKY FOR A WHILE BUT I GOT TIRED OFF HAVING TO BE TINTING WHEN I COULD BE PAINTING. SWITCH TO BASF
lost cause   +1y
I've never really used there paints or ther e mixing system, but it sounds like the shit!(exept for the de-lam part ...LOL) hope somone else has more helpfull info?..... "Lost cause"
foreverlow01   +1y
Matrix is badass, thats what i've got on my truck goin on 6 years now
exotic dreams   +1y
I've been using matrix for the past year, but i only do custom painting. It's very comparable to PPG, but i don't know about color matching. All i know is i've never had a problem mixing PPG and matrix, even the reducers.
thebagged1   +1y
my landlords shop used it.... i deffinatly dont like there mixing setup... it sprayed alright but i never had to match anything with it... used it on a factory color change... so not sure... i loveeee the sikkkens i usedf on my truck but its also prob 2x the money
SPICY   +1y
i use matrix all the time its supposed to be a knock off of the ppg system it works well for custom applications also try the nexa system which is also a ppg knockoff i used nexa and matrix leftovers to due this truck
post photo
NIGHTMARE73   +1y
ITS NOT A KNOCK OFF OF PPG .. IT IS PPG . THE HEAD CHEMIST FROM PPG. QUIT 2 YEARS AGO , AND SENCE PPG . DIDNT PATENT THE SYSTEM HE TOOK HIS FORULA AND STARTED MATRIX PAINT !
exotic dreams   +1y
That's good to know. Has anyone had trouble using featherfill high build primer by evercoat, with the matrix system?
spraybomb   +1y
Thanks for all the info guys. It really helped out.

*Joel, I love Sikkens too. There was a jobber right down the road from me that I bought all my paints from. But then the bastards up and moved, lol.