threads
Page 1 of 2
Chevy/GMC Trucks \  blazer rear end swap to s10?

blazer rear end swap to s10?

Chevy/GMC Trucks Make Specific
views 31634
replies 10
following 8

jumbo   +1y
Before i put in my 4 link and all that jazz, i want to put a posi rear end in my 99 s10. I've heard you can swap a s10 blazer 4x4 rear end (drum to drum) and all to get the posi on an s10. An older guy who has worked with s10's almost exclusively since they came out told me the blazer rear ends were too short. Anyone know if this will work or not?
bagdb2200   +1y
A 4x4 Blazer rear end is 4" wider than your's. You need to find a rear end from a 2wd truck or Blazer. Or you can just swap out the gears with the G80 unit instead of swapping the whole axle.
jumbo   +1y
changing out gears scares me, i had a friend try to do it in a toyota pumpkin, and no one in the state could un-fuck it, he ended up having to send it to the place where he got the gears from, and they ended up having to make him a new pumpkin and everything. Did many 2wd blazers come with posi? Or s10's, for that matter.
slamdblazer   +1y
As far as i know their the same lengths. call a local recking yard, thats what i always do cuz they usually have that garbage on their computers along with the gears they come with. or if your bored do a yard run thats always fun neways.
bigbiz   +1y
I've never done it, but from what I understand if you use a camaro rear everything will bolt right up. You just have to make sure the rear is a posi unit. I bet an iroc rear will bolt right in also, because even the wheel bolt pattern is the same. Hope it helps.
creative concepts   +1y
yes, the 4x4 is a lot wider then the 2wd rear ends. It really depends on the rear end. All you can do is search for a junk yard. But the g80 is just a limited slip, its not a posi. Also look at what gears it came with. A lot of 1st gen blazers have 3.42's which isnt a bad stock gear... some of them came with 3.73's, but it seems to be mostly bravada's which is the same width as the 4wd.

I'd personally find me a disc brake rear end out of a blazer. but look to spend some dough.
dwn2erths10   +1y
a 4x4 rear end will be wider. you ever noticed 4x4s always have fender flares
bagdb2200   +1y
Edited: 4/6/2007 6:25:44 AM by DroptSdime

Edited: 4/6/2007 6:25:23 AM by DroptSdime

Originally posted by sdime2372

changing out gears scares me, i had a friend try to do it in a toyota pumpkin, and no one in the state could un-fuck it, he ended up having to send it to the place where he got the gears from, and they ended up having to make him a new pumpkin and everything. Did many 2wd blazers come with posi? Or s10's, for that matter.Quite a few do, actually. My 89 did, and I just pulled a set out of another 89 at the junkyard yesterday. Changing gears in an S-10 is easy. But if you don't want to try it finding a full axle shouldn't be too hard. One with disc brakes may be another story, though, but a Camaro disc brake swap isn't that hard either.

A Camaro rear end won't work either. The 82-92 rears are 5" wider than an S-10 and the 93+ are even wider.

jumbo   +1y
i'm not too worried about disc brakes in the back, if i don't have drums i can't powerbrake, lol. I just want the limited slip in about a 3:73 or so. thanks again for the help, guys.
creative concepts   +1y
Originally posted by sdime2372

i'm not too worried about disc brakes in the back, if i don't have drums i can't powerbrake, lol. I just want the limited slip in about a 3:73 or so. thanks again for the help, guys.

its pretty hard to find anything lower then a 3.42 in a 2wd without a massive hunt. 3.73 and 4.10's came in 4wd's and even that wasnt too common.. a few 2wd's came with 3.73 but you'd have to find em..

i have a 3.42 limited slip in my s10 with the g80.. i've blown it twice and i dont drive hard.. they just suck.. lol

if i run across a rear end for you, i'll let you know.. later

-potter