Page 1 of 4
Body work and Paint \  old school paint job

old school paint job

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 907
replies 33
following 21

Thebutchershop   +1y
i got an old 73 c10 step van im wantn to give it an old rat raod style apint job, any tips you guys can give me? i want it to look like is faded an worn away if that helps, any help would be nice, thanks
slamdblazer   +1y
U WANT FLAT PAINT OR LIKE IT WAS IN A FEILD ALL ITS LIFE? opps caps. but yea if your goin for ratrod-ish then scallops flat paints and pinstriping always works.
Thebutchershop   +1y
ya i want it too look like it was in a feild,
Minty Fresh Maz   +1y
Somebody told me u could "rust it" with Steel-wool and water. I dunno, makes sense anyway, right!?!
granth   +1y
no offense, but thats pretty retarded. let the vehicle do its thing. all those fake rust paint jobs are so funny to me.
MysteriousGT1   +1y
Originally posted by framedragger

no offense, but thats pretty retarded. let the vehicle do its thing. all those fake rust paint jobs are so funny to me.

same here...But i like the idea of flat black with pinstripes!

david49910   +1y
Go stick it in a field to get patina. Hopefully, by the time it gets the look you're after, you'll realize that the 'barn find' look isn't for 73 Chevy vans.

granth   +1y
Originally posted by david49910

Go stick it in a field to get patina. Hopefully, by the time it gets the look you're after, you'll realize that the 'barn find' look isn't for 73 Chevy vans.

LOL hell, its hardly 60's. Seriosuly, build it and shove it in a corn field, come back in 20 years and maybe you will have the paint you want........................minus the cool history of a car.
Severed701   +1y
spray down your color that would be the old skool "primer or sealer"..then spray your top coat...then either sand,wetsand,buff,wipe with thinner..whatever works best...to get the under color to show thru like its faded or worn away..then clear it with flat clear..or just leave it...ive done some small things like that and it works well
BAD_INC   +1y
I vote flat black with long white scallops coming off of the front wheelwells and they MUST be outlined (pinstriped) with red.