Mini Truckin General \  Rat Rod S10

Rat Rod S10

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 6325
replies 13
following 12

TwistedMinis   +1y
Originally posted by DRPTNDRGN

what does foose in the 40s have to do with it?? and i know many people hate the term rat rod but thats all ive ever heard referring to hot rods that style

Think of it this way. Having your traditional rod called a rat rod, is like having your minitruck called hacked. Or maybe even a lowrider. Thems fighting words.
TOYBOY89   +1y
Traditionally a "Rat Rod", was built on an extreme budget, you used misc. parts and pieces you had lying around. You would beg borrow and steal parts to get the car running, anything that cost too much money was skipped, like paint and interior. Guys would make their own exhaust and grills and intakes etc. Most of the time hoods and hood sides were skipped, because the weren't always easy to find in good condition, plus if you had to pull over and fix something on your engine you had to take them off.

95% of the "Rat Rods" you see today are imposters guys are spending the money to have them look traditional, doesnt really make sense. There needs to be a better name for modern customs built to look like rat rods.
bill brasky   +1y
Originally posted by TOYBOY89

Traditionally a "Rat Rod", was built on an extreme budget, you used misc. parts and pieces you had lying around. You would beg borrow and steal parts to get the car running, anything that cost too much money was skipped, like paint and interior. Guys would make their own exhaust and grills and intakes etc. Most of the time hoods and hood sides were skipped, because the weren't always easy to find in good condition, plus if you had to pull over and fix something on your engine you had to take them off.

95% of the "Rat Rods" you see today are imposters guys are spending the money to have them look traditional, doesnt really make sense. There needs to be a better name for modern customs built to look like rat rods.

actually what you just explained is a hotrod. It became "ratrod" because that is what t.v. made up...kinda how Kustom Kulture came to be.
fatman 63   +1y
Every one called my truck a rat rod. I dont like that. I built it the way i liked it and i diidn't care if anyone liked it i show it because it gives me something to do and get to meet people and the old guys tell me its a cool rat rod but thats not what it is i mean it a has a power rack with mustang II front end whats so rat rod about that it looks like shit but its just a old truck to me with bags