Page 1 of 8
Air Ride Suspensions \  HOW TO: Traditional Body Drop

HOW TO: Traditional Body Drop

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 17431
replies 71
following 44

TwistedMinis   +1y
This is in a nutshell, how to perform a body drop. This si only how I chose to do it, so take it how it is, suggestions.
I have left out relocating things because it will be very different for each truck. But this shows where to cut the floor on your average mini truck. The front will vary from truck to truck, but this should be a good place to start.

Okay. Its a 2" body drop. I cut a 1.5" strip out of the back of the cab to allow for an overlap.

Then cut out a 2" strip on the front of the floorboard, and above the tranny tunnel.

I ended up building a low profile tranny tunnel to keep the stock heat.

Then cut straight down the side of the floor to connect the front and rear cuts. Then, let it drop.

You'll have to cut through some body mount supports. Brace them later on.

Rather than do this on the ground, which was quite wavy, I welded some heavy wall square tubing to the bottom of the frame to rest the body on.

Line it back up (I made some referrence marks with a marker) and weld the rear panel together, and start making filler panels.

Don't forget to tub the firewall.

Now is also a good time to replace any rust floor panels. Lol.

Its not necessary to remove the cab, but I chose to do so. I wanted to weld up the underside, and coat it in Por 15.

If you dont, lay down some paint on the other side of the new panels best you can to prevent rust.

I would recommend taking the areas to be cut down to bare metal before you make the cuts. It is much easier to remove paint when the panel isnt moving around.

One last thing that may help out, the clutch master. Where to put it? Well, theres plenty of room under the dash. I made up a simple lever setup on the stock pedal that worked in reverse. It is actually easier to press now. Here is a shot before it was installed.

And here it is under the dash, the frame welded to the dash support.

I located it off to the side of the AC vent, where it does not interfere with anything. It can be filled by simply removing the AC vent there.

Hope this helps.
riddincaddy01   +1y
I'm trying to decide whether i should do a traditional or channelled bd on my fullsize, what would you suggest if this will be my first time performing a bd? I've read on other forums that this was your first time doing one also so i just wanted your opinion
4uh8rs   +1y
YO NOT TRYIN TO JACK UR THREAD SETH BUT I CAN HELP THIS GUY OUT TOO....WHAT YEAR IS THE TRUCK I CAN TELL U HOW TO DO CERTAIN FULL SIZES TRADITIONAL STYLE AND MAKE IT LOOK STOCKFLOORED
riddincaddy01   +1y
its a 2000 gmc reg cab
grands   +1y
these are the kind of posts lacking around here. nice one seth.
CryingJoker   +1y
nice pics very informative
TwistedMinis   +1y
Thanks, hope it helps some people out.

riddincaddy01 if you go traditional and angle the fillers like I did you can make a stock carpet fit. My bodydrop looks like a lot less than it really is. I think the traditional was totally easy, just a lot of welding.
riddincaddy01   +1y
ya I am leaning more towards traditional, hopefully 4uh8rs could give me a few tips also, but thanks for the info seth, truck is coming out sick as f**k bro
bowtied   +1y
So a traditional b/d you don't have to modify the frame? Basically just move the floor up 2,3,4inches? The bolt it back to the frame?
TwistedMinis   +1y
Essentially. You have to lower the framehorns.