Mini Truckin General \  need help with stock floor body drop

need help with stock floor body drop

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 2873
replies 22
following 21

91 drggn dime   +1y
Originally posted by solows10

some fn help not criticism!! i dont like to pay other people to work on my truck

that attitude is why there are so many hacked up trucks out there
1los10   +1y
ok a stock floor body drop requires to rebuild the intire frame from the firewall back. this is extremely hard. and even harder to do it right and have it road worthy. or another way to stock floor it is to cut down the factory frame rails and reposition the bodymounts and then renforce the frame again something that is amazingly hard and will take even the best fabricators and frame builds with all of the best tools a long time to do corectly. and by u ask'n such a blunt question as (how do i stock floor bodydrop a truck) says that u are not qualified to do such a huge amount of very tedioius work. not say'n that ur not just that the question leeds people to think such. and yea for this website your gonna have to change the attitude and grow up and learn to take criticism with a grain of salt and let it go. and in ur profile the truck is not even bagged is it now? and yes to all of u that know more than me i know i did not cover everyway to stockfloor a truck i just tried to hit the high points.
1los10   +1y
not hate'n or be'n a dick just try'n to help u learn the same way i did.
H8R-MKR   +1y
what exactly is your skill level at??? Can you lay down a proper weld...not one that just looks nice? What about your tools for cutting and shaping the frame? would like to help you out but dont want to explain every detail if i dont have to. It sux when ppl shit on you cuz you're new but its understandable when we're drivin next to some one that built their truck under their apartment balcony and a t 70mph the truck brakes in half wipes out some kid cuz an idiot thought full penetration was somethin to do with sex not welding.
1los10   +1y
^^^^^ exactly u must be a very good welder^^^^
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
i posted this in another thread....but i guess it could apply here.

chances are if you have to ask "how do i do it" you shouldnt be jumpin right into it right away.

well, there really is no step by step outline for a SFBD, i mean there really is too many ways to do one...every way is different, some people use the shell of their stock frame and just cut it down....some make completely new frame rails and join them to the stok ones by the engine compartment.

I did mine by fabricating new frame rails completely under the cab, and then made transition frame rails from ware the flat ones ended and ware the stock frame sat, to make a nice smooth transition from the new sfbd frame to the stock front section.

started out by making a frame table, setting my stock frame on it, marking out all the body mount locations and heights.

then i cut the stock section of the frame out and pulled it off the table, and layd my new frame rails in for a moch up.

Then, i cut and rolled out some side panels to join the end of the flat frame rails to the stock section of the front clip. I took 2" of height out of the stock frame also to make it blend right.

Then i welded in those side panels so they were sturdy, then cut and rolled otu a cap for the side rails. Used some heat to shape it right and keep the gaps the right amount for weld.

Weld everything in fully, outside and inside. grind it smooth, and your new frame rails are joined to the stock front clip.

Thats how i made my rails for my SFBD, then my i just made new body mounts, lowered them off of my markings and jigs i made for them when the stock frame was on. Ill have pics of that next week.

hope that helps at all...maybee?
ShaveDnFlamed99   +1y
where is St. Joesph MI? talk to guys like Taylor (chopped mazda) on here, research his work he knows what the hell he's doing. PMA motorsports is now located in Lapeer MI they are one of the best Shops in MI to do that type of work but Carl and Paul are real easy guys to talk to and always seem pretty kool w/ answering any questions that are thrown there way. pmamotorsports.com SFBD are a pain in the ass for a 1st timer and take alot more engineering than most people think to do it properly.
prorida   +1y
ya man, your gonna get shit for such a blunt question, but you can look at my profile on my 92, and that should give you an idea. it's all the same concept, but every truck make/model is gonna have different problems. I say join a club (if not aleady) and bug your club members to help you with it. ( Thats after you go to a three day and get de-virginized. ) good luck
lownoma99   +1y
as most guys that have been building minis for a while will tell you... theres too much shit on the road that shouldnt be there. SO...with that said, take it from me when i tell you to take it to a professional and have it done right the first time. if ida done that, i wouldnt have had to redo parts of my truck 3 times over and i woulda been BD'd by now. Do your research, find a worthy shop, or even someone in your area that you can buy beer for and have him help you do it yourself.

just remember...it costs more to redo the first fuckup than it will to do it right the first time. take ur time...a SFBD is A LOT of work. i know a lot of people that are welders and wouldnt think of building a frame cuz they know that its a lil far out for them right now with their skill level.
Project SIKty5   +1y
that's a mighty nice lookin frame table....simple, yet effective